43 ◦✿◦ Welcome, Lizzie.

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

As the threat of knights scouring the land for her, Alec and his colleagues snuck to the edge of the forest. They were a total of five, including Lizzie. Alec reintroduced Ulbaim when she was calmer.

Next to him, Kef and Tillamo were like midgets with their heights as almost similar to Lizzie. Based on their soundless movements, they were nimble and efficient. Kef was the scout, and Tillamo was the trail, both existence were shrouded with their half masks covering their mouths like bandits.

They planted a distraction of someone with silver leaving for Levich, hoping it would ease their escape to the empire.

"So you mean, we have to go on horseback for almost a month?" Lizzie asked. It would also take longer since they will be avoiding checkpoints in the main road to the border 

"No, we'll go through the gate."

She swung back to him with a burrowed brow. "You know that only goods can pass through the gate, right? The guards would drag me back to my father."

"That's the case for Mekadaz Gate."

"It is the only gate in the north."

"It is."

Lizzie blinked at him, not able to marvel at the view of the Great Crystal river ahead of them.

Due to varied reasons, the Medakaz gate monopolized the transport of goods between the Gran Dacchia and the Norvillon.

After establishing the kingdom, Devanti commissioned magicians for another spell on the gate and fueled with a new mix of spirit stones. Magicians of high skills were rare and they were incredibly expensive, but with assistance from Levich, Devanti was able to hire a few.

Even though they'd try to hide among the goods, the gate which was imbued with spells to filter the humans would detect them and automatically lock the gate for days. Only few were recognized by the spell, and two were officers of Nordis that also served as trading delegates to empire from Norvillon.

This monopoly that was beneficial to the kingdom, was Lizzie's current hurdle. Among the options she thought of, one topped the list.

"Oh," she muttered, as he nodded, his eyes amused. "A new gate?!"

The horse neighed, surprised by her voice.  Alec's one hand pat her head. "So you are smart."

She would have elbowed him from his nonaggressive way of insult, but she was more taken by the surprise.

There were three conditions to make a gate.

1. The magician must be skilled. Medakaz gate was named as it is, in honor for the magician who created a few decades back.

2. The location must have ample amount of divine energy. Medakaz Gate was located farther away from Nordis because the plains where it is was said to be blessed with divinity. That's why it was almost left untouched and no satellite towns were built around it to preserve the natural surroundings 

3. Third, gate creation is extremely expensive. Despite the empire having a few minor gates, they were used sparingly due to the usage of spirit stones. And the source of such stones, Norvillon Kingdom, has tight control for distribution.

That's why products passed through the gates have high taxes. 

But Alec just said it casually that "Are you out of your mind?" escaped her mouth. She would have taken it back on other circumstances, but they were anything but normal.

And his confidence looked like he was insane enough to do it.

They reached the river and stopped. Alec lifted her off the horse and guided her to sit under the shade of a tree. He then pulled a bright green stone and drew circles and symbols on a flat grey rock. The whole time she watched him, her mouth hang open, then she would facepalm herself.

Right. He was from Levich. Legends say Levichians have blood that descended from magic users. Although there were only considerable numbers of talented mages, they were never short of them.

That's why they have established a good relationship with Norvillon for spirit stones. After all, the stones amplify the magic.

After he has drawn the symbols, he prompted Lizzie to come. She stepped in to the circle, almost the size of her bed if it was round.

"You're a mage?" she asked to be certain. Although magic could be learned, they say it was more on blood. And those who can manipulate divine energy of the world and spirit stones that contain life energy of monsters are rare and vary in levels.

Lizzie clicked her tongue. She tried her hands in magic but she had absolutely no aptitude for it.

"Not really. I was told I don't have the talent. This is all I could do—a one-time portal, and for limited times a year only."

To even think transportation magic was reduced to a mere statement of humility, Alec's skill annoyed her.

This is all I could do, my foot. I couldn't even float myself on water.

"Ready?" Alec asked. Ulbaim, Kef and Tillamo were now also inside the circle, and spread the spirit stones into the shape.

Lizzie gulped and nodded. There was no need to hold unto him, but she latched her arm unto his as if to assure herself. Alec closed his eyes. The stones glowed, tracing the lines of the circle with green light.

Lizzie closed her eyes from the flash of white light, then she was 'falling' as if she lost the rock below her feet. It was far from the comfortable and almost unnoticed magic of Medakaz Gate.

Just a second after, she fell on somebody else. She opened her eyes, and found herself sprawled on top of Alec, her wild silver hair drowning his face. The others groaned in pain beside them. She stood in panic only to duck from a flying mug that hit the shelf of few bottled drinks. Her ears were assaulted with curses, screaming men and breaking of things.

It was a bar, that was filled with brawling men so chaotic, no one noticed their sudden appearance behind the bartender's counter.

"Wrong coordinates," Alec said, already sitting on the floor. "I told you I'm not good at it." He glanced at the window, and smiled at the intimidating and pointy spires of the imperial palace at a distance, then to her. 

"Welcome to Grand Dacchia, Lizzie."

-ˋˏ ༻❁༺ ˎˊ-

...And it has begun. 🤭

Old and new characters.

Hints about the whole series.

3rd book spoilers.

Imperial scandal.

And chaos. Of course.

Enjoy the ride!

Ellena Odde