15 - The Winter Soldier

"You look familiar." A voice says as I wince and groan before lifting my head off the floor.

"How did I get here?" I mumble, turning onto my back and using my elbows for support.

"You were shoved in here when you came out of cryo-freeze an hour or so ago," he informs, "are you alright?" He holds out his hand and I grab it to stand up.

"Somewhat." I chuckle slightly, rubbing the back of my head. The man half-smiles and leans against the wall, twiddling a knife between his fingers.

"Who are you?" I ask, realising neither of us have introduced ourselves yet.

"Can't say I remember," he sighs, "but people around here call me 'Zimniy Soldat.'"

"You do look familiar as well," I tilt my head an furrow my brow, "I used to know someone that looks like you."

"What happened to them?"

"He died on a mission during the Second World War," I sigh heavily, "we pretty much grew up together."

"The last thing I remember of my own memories is the Second World War." The man exhales, placing his knife back in the holster.

"What do you mean?" I question.

"I've been shoved in that chair and into cryo-freeze so many time that," he pauses, "I don't know which memories are mine and which aren't."

"What happened to your arm?" I ask quietly, gesturing to the metal attached to his left shoulder.

"Oh, uh, I'm not sure on that one," he chuckles softly, "I didn't have it when I came here, and now I have this metal one." I give him a sympathetic smile before talking again.

"What's your name, by the way?" He asks.

"They call me 'Razvedchik," I half-smile, "Scout."

"What year is it?" I ask.

"2013, why?"

"I gotta go." I panic, running out the room.

"Scout, wait!"

I leave him standing outside the doorway of the room we were just in and head towards the Red Room dorms. I run into Natalia's room, but only see a frail looking blonde girl.

"Excuse me," I whisper, "do you know where Natalia is?"

"She escaped," the girl says, facing away from me, "five years ago."

"Who are you?" She asks, standing up and walking to me.

"I'm Scout," I say confused, "and you are?"

"Yelena Belova."

"You're the Yelena from the Ohio mission in '92?"

"Don't talk about that." She says sternly.

"Sorry. When did you get back?"

"1995."

"I've been frozen for," I pause and count the years on my fingers, "twenty-one years!"

"No wonder that math took you so long."

"I'll be back soon." I smile and head out the door.

I haven't been able to shake the thought as to why Zimniy looks so familiar, so I sneak through the halls to try and find some answers. Eventually, I find the room that holds all the files and begin to search through them. A couple shelves over, a section saying '1940-1950' catches my attention. I check around me to make sure I'm alone before dragging the box out.