Chapter 26: Lies

I backed up super fast and held onto the doorway so hard I think I heard a crack." The killer witch, but your not the killer witch?" She rested her hand on her bed beside her motioning for me to come back and sit down next to her. I carefully started my way toward her and sat down." I wasn't always the killer witch, I was once Shelly. And I was married and had two kids," she motioned toward the picture," The one with the purple hair was Indigo and the teal one was Turquoise." Most unique names ever." My husband was the most honest and loving merperson you could ever meet. It was on a nice day and they were driving to pick me up from work, at the palace and I was standing outside watching. And another car came speeding down the road and . . . hit them," she started choking on her words." I probably could have helped but I was too scared, I saw the car coming and I tried to scream to stop but I was too late. They were hit into a big rock, and they were crushed." My own eyes started to tear up as I listened," My husband, and two sweet, innocent angels were in there. And they all got crushed." I moved my hand toward the old wrinkled one and squeezed," The man who did that wasn't trying to do any harm. He just wanted to get his own child to the hospital. He made it, the child, his name was Kelp. The man who I got to know told me all about him, Kelp seemed just as sweet as my own. I remembered my children's face when they got hit, they gave me a look of horror and then . . . I never saw them again." I breathed in a deep sigh trying to keep more tears from streaming down my face and into the ocean that would carry them away as smoothly as leaves is in the wind." I am so sorry. But, and please forgive me for asking this, what does it have to do with me?" I asked slowly. " Well, I'm very good friends with Kelpiana. She told me about a girl on a rock that I would see one day and told me she was of utter importance. She would be the upbringing or downfall of our beautiful kingdom." I looked around yet again for anyone else she could be talking about. Until I realized she was talking about me. I pointed a finger at me incredulously," Me?" I asked my voice an octave higher than usual. " Okay, so what happened next?" she put her finger up and waved it in the air," I was getting to that, but before you need to know that I've noticed my mistake and I know it was very wrong for me to do this, and even though I had met him I don't know but I thought he should lose more when I lost three." I knew where this was going already and my insides froze, my eyes widened," I poisoned the nice man's sister so that he would be lonely just like me, I poisoned her food. Seeing as I knew I would be caught I swam and I never stopped swimming. Someone got a picture of me and the man's face was so shocked he swore if he found me he would make sure he tortured me before he killed me for his sister." I noticed how the story was made," And you were called the Killer Witch because people sent out rumors of you killing more than one person," I looked in the old woman's eyes and finished my thought," They said you killed 50,000." She nodded," They would think every single crime was me. If an actual assassin killed someone they would blame me. They made rumors about me that my grandparents killed the royals kids and other silly stories like that." It made so much more sense now. When Kylie said she'd seen the bodies, she'd seen the bodies of other people who'd committed actual crimes. Now the only question in my head was, if Shelly obviously didn't give herself up and the man had suspected she wouldn't do it then who set Shelly up." Do you have a phone?" She shook her head no." I need to go to someone, stay here all right, and don't move." She nodded her head then stopped her head midway," Don't go out there and try to clear my name, all right, leave me be. I'm fine the way I am. If I wasn't I would've cleared my name a long time ago." I nodded and swam after the door blasting out and swam as fast as I could toward the rock I was at before. While I was thinking my thoughts, on the rock I had drawn a very intricate map of everywhere I had been. I pulled myself on the rock and studied the map. It said that the coral house was just about 15 minutes from here but if I swam at top speed I'd say about 10. I blasted off into the direction of the setting sun. Kai had lied to me but I shouldn't have snapped like that. I was rude and he was just protecting himself, I had done the same. I swam and didn't stop until I had reached the coral house. I burst through the door and everyone turned to stare at me. I searched everywhere but couldn't see Kai," Where's Kai? I need to talk to him." " He's not here he's getting supplies for the Night Terrors. Man, I hate those guys, come here every year and scare everybody in Atlantic City half to death, I think he went to the city, behind the palace. It's very beautiful at night." She looked up from the food she was making and smiled at me. I started drooling from the smells and realized how hungry I was." Guys, this is super important I need you to listen, I met Shelly, the Killer Witch, and she's not bad someone set her up and I think if they'll set someone innocent up they'll do worse and we need to find them or else they'll do way worse things and well yeah that sums it up." I was out of breath now, one, because I swam so far so fast and two, I just talked a mile a minute. I swam out of the house as fast as I could before all they could do was blink. I was behind the palace and in the city in less than 7 minutes, searching for Kai. But with all the merpeople around I knew I wouldn't be able to. I stopped, bent down, and tried to think over all the shouting and laughing and screaming and engine noises. But then I thought of Kai and I knew I had to think like Kai if I wanted to find Kai. Then it hit me. The hospital, that's where Kai would be. I knew it, I can explain Kai's super kind and thoughtful so if he had a friend and she was hurt then he would take her to a hospital first for her needs! I'm a genius! I sped into a shop named Shells and Things and looked for a map, ignoring all the merpeople staring at me with disapproving faces, luckily there was a big collection of them for free. I grabbed one and swam out of the door. I saw a piece of seaweed drifting around and caught it in mid-float. I wrapped my hair putting it in a quick loose bun. While swimming I pulled out the map and searched everywhere for a hospital. Unfortunately for me, there were 7, Catfish Hospital, Seaweed Hospital, Coral Hospital, Shellbreak hospital, Fins and More, and then there was one just called The Best. Three on the outskirts and three in the middle. Then I saw one that was closest to the border. I had to pull out the map really far, all in all it was probably 5 feet long which isn't as long as most maps you'll find. I started my way toward the hospital Kai had to be at. Because if he wasn't I didn't know where else to look.