25. 18 years old

It's been a sad week for all of us.

Where to start...

It's been 4 months I guess since my father started to experience pain in his body. A vague description. He couldn't pinpoint where the pain was in his body so you could say the doctors felt a little bit hopeless. Last week they finally discovered he had diabetes. Well.

Remedy for diabetes doesn't exist in Obelia.

I found myself missing the modern world once more. I wished I knew more about that insuline stuff that's used to help but did you seriously think that in 14 years of being homeschooled back in France I took an interest in learning how diabetes works? No. I was a kid. I spent my days reading stuff on the internet. That did not include medical stuff. If I did it was about my heart disease, not pancreatic failure.

Modern people are lucky.

I miss count Judith. (He's dead if you were too slow to figure it out.)

It's not like I held a big amount of affection for him or anything. I mean...To me, he's like that one relative I see once every while. I'm not sure I'll really feel his loss, but he is in fact a loss. He was good to me.

Well rip.

Funerals are just so damn depressing...I'm still wearing black and I'm not complaining. It's not like I'm in the mood to wear flashy colors right now anyway. I do feel down after wearing black for a whole damn week but it just feels right.

With him gone, all his possessions go legitimately to Roger, but since the latter doesn't really seem to need it, he says that Roselia and I can do as we please with what he had. Roger will just take over the business and me and my sister will keep the mansion, staff and everything.

Roselia hadn't ate the 2 first days after he was gone and it took me pretending that the empress was visiting for her to get out. She cared more than she showed after all.

I had started studying business and finances a few years ago and now it's starting to become a hobby. Everyone is saying I'm becoming a workaholic. And that's okay. There's nothing wrong with it.

I sighed as I took my coat and climbed onto the carriage to go to the palace.

I'm starting to dislike coming there now. It's no longer Claude I'm visiting, it's the empress. And man do I get bored with her. Claude and I aren't allowed to see each other. He has his duties anyways with Felix and waiting for a glimpse of Anastacius is like the Jews waiting for their Messiah.

(My sincerest apologies, dear jews, if you felt offended.)

The empress was not bluffing when she told me she'd introduce me to all her friends!! No!! That was even an understatement!! I felt like it was some intensive training or something!! You have to speak in a specific way, always be updated on the latest trends and the most recent rumors, spread the goddamnit gossip, aNd CoMpLiMeNt ThE eMpReSs.

And. 🥊

The. 🔪

Tea. 🔥

Even if consumed with biscuits and other snacks, it's still a big N.O for me!!! I don't know why. I feel like I dislike ancient society more and more each passing day. I even have to pour tea for the other ladies (because the young ones have to serve their elders) and it's way more complicated than it seems! Have you ever held a steaming tea pot, having to pour the right amount of it in a teacup that's 2 meters away from you so you have to stretch your arms, at the same time having to keep eye contact with the other ladies and smile gently, and not splash at least a few droplets a bit everywhere while not staining your sleeve whilst navigating through the maze of three tier cakes, each as tall as the leaning tower of Pisa itself, and are placed randomly on a small circular table under the judging eyes of older ladies with ridiculous coiffures waving their fans randomly?? No?! Well then shut up you don't know my pain.