Chapter 34: Carlos

(Welcome to another chapter! Thank you so much for reading! I'll get right into the story again today! Love you all! Mwah! <3)

Y/N'S PERSPECTIVE:

I finished taking my bath and washing my hair out. I got changed into some new clothes, today I decided to wear pants and a baggy t-shirt. I did my hair up in a bun (Or whatever style you want<3) and then headed downstairs to leave. Carlos, the candy man I had been buying from for years was smiling at me warmly as he gave me a basket full of candy apples.

"You can share them with your friends, we made too many," He laughed heartily. Carlos didn't have any facial hair but looked my mom's age, he had nice dark brown hair that covered his head, probably to hide bald spots... He wore dress pants and a blue shirt- part of his uniform for his shop I assumed since I hadn't seen him wear anything else.

"Thanks," I said simply, taking the basket and putting on my shoes to leave.

"Hey, Y/n, honey, give me some love before you leave!" My ma said, holding her arms out for a hug. I listened and gave her a hug. She kissed my head, cheeks, and then held me by the hands, brushing my hair behind my ears.

"I love you, dear, be safe," She said, kissing my cheek one more time before letting me go. I nodded at Carlos as I left. I had to go tell Camilo about this, my mom was in love with Carlos and he seemed to be pretty into her too. In my rush to get to Camilo's house, I bumped into a couple. I muttered an apology and gasped when I saw who it was.

"Ben and Mirabel?!" I asked, shocked to see them together.

"Hey Y/n," Mirabel waved sheepishly. Ben just smiled and patted my shoulder.

"You look like you have a lot of candy on your hands, allow me to take some weight off your load," He said, taking two candy apples and handing one over to Mirabel. She was definitely blushing.

"Next time ask, they probably taste horrible, they were made out of true love," I said, gagging at the thought and feeling my eyes prick a little with tears. Ben took a bite.

"Hm, I like the taste of true love then," He said.

"I need to go," I said, angry at myself for being upset at my mom's new relationship. And I blew up at Ben for my own problems, how bad could I get? Maybe I was still dealing with the post-period mood.

... (Time skip brought to you by @Rebels_Disassemble and Bridget! The user mentioned gave the idea of the parrot spoiling Camilo's gift for Y/n! Sorry for leaking the surprise, but it'll still be just as good to read!)

I finally made it to Camilo's house where Pepa had her ear against Camilo's door.

"Oh! Y/n! I was just... Ah, you have candy apples!"

"Can you take them? I don't really like candy apples anymore," I said. She eagerly took the basket and pulled a cand apple out by the stick.

"MMmmm... Oh, and Camilo is being... Odd, it's like I'm hearing two different voices in there, but I guess it's your problem now," She said, leaving me. Camilo and his silly idea to get a parrot. I went in and saw the bird perched on his arm and speaking.

"Isabela your boyfriend is here!" It said. I couldn't help but laugh.

"He's getting to sound like you now," I said, sitting beside Camilo.

"You smell good," Camilo complimented, smiling at me.

"Thanks, I took a bath like I said I would. So, what did you name him?"

"Camilo,"

"You can't name him after yourself, it'll get confusing!" I said, petting its fluffy feathers.

"Ah, fine, Camilo Jr. then," I shook my head and he smiled, he was just goofing off now.

"SQUAWK! Shhhhhh, it's a gift for Y/n! Crackers! Hernando!" I raised my eyebrow at the bird. Camilo was blushing a little.

"A gift for me? Camilo Jr. you really shouldn't have!" I said sarcastically, waiting for Camilo to explain what the bird brain was talking about.

"Way to spoil the surprise... Jack, that's your name now, you don't deserve such a cool name anymore," Camilo said, putting Jack in his cage and kneeling next to the bed and reaching under it. He pulled out something wrapped in cloth. He sat beside me and opened it up. He held a thin silver chained neckless for me to see. It had a smaller chameleon-shaped rock hanging from the chain like the one I had made for Antonio.

"I made it using the one you made for Antonio as a reference," Camilo said, opening the link.

"It's beautiful!" I said.

"I'm glad you like it because it took me hours to make, can I put it on you?" He asked. I nodded, turning away from him so he could link it up around my neck. His hands carefully brought the chain to the front of my neck and then he connected it around the back. I turned back to look at him, smiling. He looked at the neckless and then up to me.

"Forget about the neckless, you're even more beautiful," He said, holding the back of my head gently as he kissed my cheekbone and then rested his head on my forehead.

"You're such a flirt," He opened his eyes, showing me the playful gleam in them.

"You looked kind of down when you came in, did I cheer you up?" He asked. Why did Camilo have to be so clueless but observant?

"You sure did," I said, kissing his nose and hugging him.

"Can I ask what was bothering you?" He asked, laying back on the bed with me on top of him. He ran his hands through my damp hair.

"You know the guy who runs the candy shop? His name's Carlos apparently, and he was at my house with my ma. They made candy apples together and then he gave them to me to share," I said, realizing that I really was upset over nothing.

"Are you worried they're secretly dating?" He asked.

"No, but they might be soon, you should have seen the way my ma was looking at him!" He pressed his head gently against my neck as he hugged me tighter.

"Are you angry Hermosa?" He asked.

"I don't know, yes! But I shouldn't be, right?" He rubbed my back.

"Are you scared your mom will forget about you if she starts dating him?"

"Are you secretly a therapist?" I asked.

"I'm just your boyfriend and I'd like to think best friend too," He said, not having a clue what a therapist was.

"Of course you're my best friend... And I think you're right, about the part of me being scared she'll forget about me... It's just been the two of us for so long and I don't know, I shouldn't be angry,"

"Well, didn't you do the same thing to her when you started hanging out with me? I noticed your ma a lot when she was here, I think she was feeling the same things but like you, knew she shouldn't be angry and distanced herself. She didn't have you anymore to keep her company and then she probably met Carlos. He's able to be with her now and by the sound of it, make her happy,"

"I hate it when you're right," I said.

"You can't be right all the time, I need at least 0.01% of your 99.99% rightness," He said, playing with my hair again.

"So what do I do now?"

"Get to know Carlos, as much as I hate being away from you, it sounds like Carlos might become a big part of your life soon. It'd help if you two became friends or got to know each other a little more," I didn't respond right away. I didn't want to be friends with Carlos but Camilo was right about him probably becoming a big part of my life soon, so it'd make sense if I tried to get along and get over my irrational anger.

"Fine, I don't like it, but fine," I said.

(That's today's chapter! Hope you liked it! I love you all! Have a great rest of your day/night! Mwah! <3)

- Author Out! <3

Word count: 1410