Chapter 36

Surprisingly, the event was fun.

Isabella actually met some nice kids and they played around and won a few games. Nicolai was a sore loser. Isabella laughed about that which made him more bitter.

In the end, it was time to say goodbye and Isabella left the room with a satisfied heart.

She looks at Nicolai. "Wasn't that fun?"

Nicolai shrugged, sighing. Isabella raised a brow. "Are you still angry at me for winning the sack race?"

"Look, you cheated——"

"You face planted on the floor!" Isabella reasoned, laughing. "You should be thankful that I even helped you!"

He grumbled. "You won even after helping me."

"Look, I'm just good at it. Plus, you fell again so it's not my fault." Isabella bragged, making him gag dramatically. She snorted. "Just admit it."

"As if I'll admit something that isn't true." Nicolai crossed his arms, glaring at her.

"Oh, you sore loser." Isabella pinched his cheek and he swatted her hand away.

"I'm not a sore loser!"

"You so are! Look at you!"

"I hate you." Nicolai hissed, marching away from her. Isabella snickered and jogged towards him and playfully nudged his shoulder.

"Oh, you love me. You even confessed." She then cleared her throat. She gave him a serious look. "I love you." Her voice was ridiculously lowered as she tried imitating him.

He shoved her shoulder while he was blushing red in embarrassment. "Stop being so bad to me."

Before Isabella could tease him more, Mike and George called out from behind them, making Isabella stop in her tracks and making Nicolai clench his fist in anger.

"I knew it." Nicolai mumbled, glaring at the floor in utter anger. "Damn it." He ran his hand through his hair and gripped it tightly. Isabella was afraid that his hair would fall off if he continues on with his action.

It was partly her fault. She wanted to explore Nicolai's huge school. It's surprising how nobody stopped them. She's worried about this school's security more than them getting into trouble. Nicolai's been so nice to agree without arguing too much and nobody stopped them even after they explored the things that should have security.

"Just ignore them." Isabella whispered, scared of what could happen.

"Hey, lame-ass!" The kid, Mike, Isabella noted, said, causing George to cackle at his friend's words.

Isabella closed her eyes tightly, not wanting a fight. Nicolai turned around. "What did you just say?"

"Nicolai." Isabella warned, giving him a pointed look.

"No, he's clearly saying something. Let him speak." Nicolai prompted, taking a step forward. "I want you to repeat that again."

"What? That your 'best friend' is a lame-ass kid who's just an attention seeker and a bitch?"

Kids shouldn't say bad things. Kids shouldn't say those things but seeing them say it, seeing them looking at Isabella with contempt; it made Isabella's stomach lurch into something unpleasant. 

"Tell me, is being stupid a profession or are you two just gifted?" Nicolai asks, making two boys' faces turn dark and angry that matches Nicolai's expression.

Isabella places a hand on Nicolai's arm to pull him back away, hoping for him to calm down and chill, but he roughly shakes her away. "Not now, Izzy. Not when they're being douchebags."