𝙩𝙝𝙞𝙧𝙩𝙮 𝙤𝙣𝙚.

─☼☼☼─

𝘾𝙃𝘼𝙍𝙇𝙊𝙏𝙏𝙀 𝘾𝘼𝙍𝙍𝙀𝙍𝘼 𝙃𝘼𝘿 seen enough episodes of Criminal Minds to know the situation she was currently in was not necessarily a good one. 

A clock ticked over head, but that was all she could hear in the empty office of Sheriff Shoupe. She had been sitting alone for a long time...too long. 

A single day had passed since they lost John B and Sarah, and she had barely had enough time to full register what had happened.

So when she was called into the police station for questioning, Charlotte almost didn't show. She wasn't ready to talk about anything that had happened...not yet. 

But she knew she didn't really have a choice. They weren't asking her to come down, they were telling her. 

When the door finally opened, it revealed Agent Bratcher, Shoupe following behind him. Both of them gave her quick glances as they pulled up two chairs across from her. 

"How you doin', Charlotte?" Shoupe wondered, a greeting smile flickering across his face as he set a can of soda down in front of her. He was playing 'good cop' that much was obvious. 

Shifting in the chair beneath her, Charlotte shrugged. "I've been better."

Bratcher looked down at the file in front of him, giving a small nod. "You're not in trouble, Miss. Carrera. We just want to ask you some questions."

Being interrogated was something Charlotte never thought she would go through. But this summer was full of surprises, wasn't it?

"You're not being interrogated. We want to make that clear." Shoupe assured, as if reading Charlotte's mind. "Just a couple of things we need to clear up."

She crossed her arms across her chest, quirking a brow. "I told you John B didn't kill anyone. I don't know what else you want from me."

Bratcher looked down at the file again. "What was the nature of your relationship with John Booker Routeldge?"

Charlotte's eyes flickered toward Shoupe. He knew all of this. Why the hell were they asking her?

"He's─" She cut herself off for a moment, pushing down the lump that had formed in her throat. "─was─ one of my best friends."

Nodding, Bratcher continued. "How long have you known him?"

"Since we were kids. I can't remember exactly how old we were when we met."

"And has your relationship ever been sexual?"

At this question, Charlotte felt her jaw drop as she looked over to Shoupe. "Shoupe, is this guy serious?"

The deputy-turned sheriff - gave her a pleading look. "Just answer the question, Charlotte."

Gritting her teeth, she glared at Bratcher. "No. Never. Not even close."

Bratcher regarded her for a moment, as if trying to decide if she was lying. When he seem satisfied with her answer, he resumed. "Were you at the airstrip the day Sheriff Peterkin was murdered?"