Chapter 26

"Well... Guys, meet Kim Taehyung. Taehyung, meet my friends Yugyeom and Yoongi."

Instead of greeting him with a handshake or kind words, the two boys just seemed to stare Taehyung down. The prince suddenly felt extremely self-conscious, used to being greeted with bows out of courtesy, along with empty yet still kind words.

That moment, it hit him. He was currently facing people from an entirely different world, one with traditions and habits that differed from his. He tried not to be prejudiced, yet couldn't help but feel a little intimidated. They must hate him!

Instead of shaking his hand, the two boys frowned. "Who the hell is this, Jungkook? Is he the one responsible for--" All of a sudden, Yugyeom stepped forward. "Are you the one who made him disappear? Are you some sort of kidnapper or something?!," he snapped, making Taehyung retreat in fear.

Before he could even think of responding, Jungkook stepped in front of him protectively. "Hey, stop that! He's what brought me back here, don't scare him like that!"

"Why is he dressed like he's about to attend a costume party?," Yoongi asked which made him sigh. "I'll explain everything later, it's a long story. Can't you just be nice to him? You're not really making a good first impression on him."

Both of them looked sceptical and reluctant, but nodded. Yugyeom held out his hand which Taehyung then hesitantly shook. He didn't know what made him feel worse, how forced the gesture seemed to be or the fear of what he was going to do now gradually starting to settle inside him.

Yoongi did the same after Yugyeom had withdrawn his hand again, staring at him inspectively. The prince started to feel more and more insecure each second, fiddling around with his hands which didn't go unnoticed by Jungkook.

"Let's go inside," he suggested. "I really wanna explain where I've been and how I got here, and how I met Taehyung and how we got back."

"What about your parents and relatives though? We just had your funeral, you know? They all probably still think they're hallucinating your ghost." Jungkook nibbled at his bottom lip pensively, considering this.

"Fuck, I really haven't thought of that. I can't just tell everyone the full truth, that'd put... some people in danger." And indeed, he hadn't thought about the consequences the people of Elysium would have to face if he told his entire family about its existence. Not that he cared about the irresponsible, egocentric and materialistic nobles, but genuine and caring people like Jimin and Taehyung's siblings. What would happen to them now, once they'd left?

"You're planning on lying to all of them? And who'd you be putting in danger? Jungkook, whatever the hell happened, you need to talk about it. You've been swallowed from the face of earth for literal months, me and Yoongi aren't the only ones who are gonna ask questions." The brunette sighed.
"Of course I'll tell you guys the truth, it's just a... bit of a complicated situation."

"We have time and we'll listen. But be prepared for school guidance counsellers, kids in our class and even the police asking questions. I trust that whatever you do, you'll have your reasons and we trust you although you have to admit, this is confusing as fuck and I don't know if we'll ever emotionally recover from losing a friend and suddenly getting him back. If you plan on making up some sort of cover story, you need to plan it through very carefully and without any gaps in it," Yoongi spoke.

Jungkook nodded. "I have an idea. But I really want to get inside now, I've missed you all so much and can't wait to see my family again." For the first time, both Yugyeom and Yoongi smiled and embraced him tightly.
"We've missed you too, buddy. It was painful, not knowing where you were and the police telling us you were dead. But you're back. You're back and that's all that matters."