Chapter 48

"I have a proposition." I said quitley, ending up in front of Nathaniel at the end of class.

He raised an eyebrow, a small smile playing at the corner of his lips. "What kind of proposition?"

I swallowed. "I just want to be friends again. No more awkwardness, or avoiding eachother. We're adults now, it's time we start acting like it."

Nathaniel didn't say anything for a few seconds, and he just stared into my eyes. "Fine."

I nodded. "Good."

"So as friends, does this entitle us to a walk in the park today?"

I parted my lips in question.

"Just as friends, I promise. I have my own girl at home." He said hurriedly, too sure for the statement.

His phone suddenly rang in his pocket, cutting off my response. Nathaniel glanced at the screen, smiling softly.

"Karen," he whispered to me, before answering it.

I made a confused face. Karen?

"Hey, Hon'. How are you?" He asked, turning from me and facing the window.

I guessed it was his fiancé, so I motioned to him I was going to leave so I could give him privacy.

He nodded at me without really paying attention.

I heard happy laughter as I left the room.

~~~~~~~~

Later that day on campus, an attractive brunet approached me.

"Hi, dear. Would you know where Mr. Sky would be?" She asked, smiling and smoothing down her white dress.

"Natha-?" I stopped myself, seeing as it was inappropriate I knew, or even addressed, a teacher's assistant in that mannar. "Yes, he's-"

"Right here." Came a surprised, familiar voice behind me.

Karen's face brightened, stepping around me and throwing her arms around Nathaniel.

"Nate!" Her squeal was muffled in his collar, as he hugged her lower back-and his eyes were locked to mine.

"I can't believe you're here!" He exclaimed, kissing her cheek. I knew his excited voice, but this most definitely was not. Nathaniel sounded distracted.

I turned to leave, unsure of what to do with myself.

"Oh, Miss. Garland?" Nathaniel called me back. His gaze was intense, and the woman's face flashed with quick uncertainty that I wasn't even sure it had happened.

"Yes?"

"This is Karen, my fiancé." He said, smiling and tightening his snug grip on her waist.

I stepped up to her, holding out my hand, "Nice to meet you."

"And you." Karen smiled warmly, shaking my hand back. "Are you Nathaniel's student?"

I nodded. "Yes, he's a wonderful help to our Proffessor."

"I knew he'd be." She said dreamily, resting her head on his shoulder.

He kissed her head, and looked back at me. Silence dipped over us.

I checked my phone clock. "Oh-I'm so sorry! I'm late for something, but it was nice meeting you."

I waved, and they did aswell before descending back to Proffesor Darby's class.

The only date I was late for is Chinese food, and myself.

Later that night, Professor Darby's blast-email caught me off guard. He informed us all that Mr. Sky would be staying an extra week, due to unfinished work that needed to be completed.

I groaned in frustration, tossing my Low Man in my bedside trash with more force intended.

~~~~~~~~

I walked into class a few days later, taking my usual seat next to Paige. Professor was taking a family emergency day, and Nathaniel was left to teach the class. I noticed Karen, apparently one of NYU's alumni, sitting in the corner with her nose in our curriculum.

Paige entered the room moments later, taking her place next to me.

"How'd it go last night?" I asked, smiling. Paige had prepared all week for a date her friend had set up for her.

She made a face, making a thumbs-down sign with her hand. "Terrible."

I puckered out my lower lip. "Sorry, Pai-"

"Miss. Garland?" A curt, loud voice boomed suddenly over the room. I glanced upwards, alarmed. The room had somehow become deadly silent.

"Yes?" I asked, blinking at Nathaniel.

He crossed his arms. "Is there something that you should share with the rest of the class?"

I did a double take. "Sorry?"

He sighed impatiently. "I'm sorry, I don't think I made myself clear. I don't enjoy conversations during my lecture time."

His tone stung, as he stood there taut and swallowing.

I forgot the pairs of eyes on me, and our supposed appropriate relationship at the moment, and puréed my lips, "I wasn't talking during your lecture. You hadn't started talking, and I always respect my teachers when they are speaking."

I heard Paige's sharp intake of breath in surprise beside me. I noticed Karen's head raised a fraction in the corner, watching the scene taking place.

His gaze softened, than realized, like myself, it wasn't just us in the room. "Miss. Garland, I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

I sat, stunned, but slipped my computer back into it's case and retreated down the aisle.

~~~~~~~~

The next day, I walked early into class with confidence. Few students trickled in, only because I was fifteen minutes early. Paige was nowhere to be seen.

Nathaniel sat at one of the chairs in the front, scrolling through his phone. His eyes glanced up as I swiftly waked past him up the aisle.

"Oh, Lindsey?" He said my name in a hushed tone, as he glanced around at the oblivious students nearby.

I shut my eyes for a second, than turned. "Yes?"

"I wanted to apologize for yesterday." He said, turning off his phone and slipped it in his pocket.

I shrugged, strongly refraining myself from letting myself fall into his green eyes. "It's fine."

Guilt flashed in his face, and this time, I was sure of the emotion. "No, it's not. I was out of line when I called you out for something you didn't do; especially for dismissing you.

My expression softened, somehow excepting his apology. "Okay."

I turned to leave, when his hand stopped my shoulder. Chills shot through my body, and I flinched away as I turned back to him again.

He made an inquisitive face, as he lowered his hand slowly and stuck it in his pocket. "How about that walk later today?"

"I don't think that's a good idea."

"Please?" He asked, his expression unreadable.

I faltered, not thinking it was bright of a part-faculty member to be seen with a second-year student.

But, I sighed and said, "One hour."