Chapter 5

The wind blows fiercely, blowing trees sideways. Dark clouds form above us, darkening the atmosphere. I watch the storm grow from Rafe's bedroom window.

"Shit, I have to get home." I tell Rafe.

"Mila, you can't go out there in that." Rafe says.

"I have to help my family prepare! I can't just be here doing nothing." I panic, looking at him.

"Hey," Rafe places his hands on my shoulders. "Call your dad, let him know you can't make it. He'll understand. I'll bring you over there in the morning when it's safe."

I nod at him, worry still evident on my face.

"Mila, it's gonna be okay." Rafe pulls me against him, hugging me.

"Thank you." I mumble.

I let go and grab my phone off his bedside table. I dial my dad's number and step into the hallway. The phone rings 3 times before my dad picks up.

"Mila? Where are you?" He asks, concerned.

"I'm at a friend's. I'm okay, Dad. But I won't be making it home tonight."

"That's okay, I don't want you out in this storm."

"I promise I'll be there as soon as it's safe."

"It's okay, Mila. I know you'll be here when you can. Just stay safe, baby, okay?"

"I will, I promise."

"I love you, Mi."

"Love you too, Dad. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Goodnight."

"Night."

I hang up and walk back into the bedroom. Rafe looks up immediately from his phone. He stands up.

"Everything okay?"

"Yeah. He wasn't upset."

"I told you." Rafe says with a smile.

I shake my head at him, laughing. "Whatever."

"Tired?"

"Yeah, very."

Rafe walks over to his dresser and pulls out a large
t-shirt. He hands it to me. "You can wear this to bed. I'll sleep on the floor so you can have the bed."

"Thank you." I look down at the shirt and then back up at him. "Turn around."

He does as I say, and turns to look out the window. I slide off my jean shorts and my tank top and pull on his t-shirt. Rafe's shirt hits me at mid thigh.

"Okay, I'm good." I say.

He turns to look at me. I watch as his eyes travel up and down my body. I suddenly felt very exposed.

"Right, okay. Um, you can get in the bed." He rubs the back of his neck awkwardly.

I nod and move toward his bed. I climb in and settle into his sheets. Rafe settles in on the floor. I let myself drift off to sleep.

I sat in the passenger seat of Rafe's car, a spot I'd grown used to sitting in. I look over at the boy, a smirk on his face as he drove up the twisty road, getting dangerous close to the edge.

"Woah, Rafe, stay in the lane." I worry aloud.

"Don't worry, we're fine." His eyes remain trained on the road.

I could hear him press down on the gas pedal as the car automatically shifts, adjusting to his speed. My heart slams in my chest as we fly by trees, everything whizzing by as the boy continues to speed up.