nineteen » advice

"Hey, you okay?" Yuna whispered, nudging the male beside her.

She had been observing Namjoon for a while. After they had settled down in the house's backyard where Namjoon had planted several plants — right from bonsais and flowering plants and some household vegetables for harvest, they lay in the grass in the sunny yet chilly atmosphere with their books laying on the lush green carpet, reading or studying.

But Namjoon was staring off into space, extremely distracted. He had mentioned having a test three days later and wanted to study, and thus the study session. Yuna had her laptop out, typing out the essay she had to hand over by the weekend, and she had written 70% of it. Ara and Jungkook? Not sure what they were doing, but by the looks of it, they were solving some algebra.

"Oh, what?" Yuna's words broke him out of his trance, and he looked over at her. She was sitting cross-legged on the grass beside him, her books sprawled around her while her laptop was in front of her. Namjoon realized she was wearing a baby blue t-shirt which complimented her very well.

"You clearly aren't okay," she said, "What's wrong? Wanna talk about it?" Namjoon sighed, rubbing his face with his hands, and then Yuna said again, rubbing a comforting palm on his hand, "Hey, relax. You don't have to tell me. We can just sit."

"It is for a f-friend. Yeah. It's for...uh Hoseok," Namjoon starts, fiddling with her fingers which are placed on his hand unconsciously.

"Okay, go on," calmly Yuna said, noticing how he was playing with her palm. A small smile stretched on her lips unknowingly.

Namjoon sucked in a deep breath, and continued, "So erhh... He was talking with this person. A girl," he looked over to Yuna, and she motioned him to continue, "They've been talking for almost a month? Maybe more than a month? Two months?" Yuna nodded and he continued, "And then one day he... forgot to reply to her... um text," he took a break and continued, "He forgot to reply to her text because he was busy with some work."

"Mhm," Yuna hums in affirmation, rubbing his palm comfortingly with her other hand, "You don't have to tell me if you think Hoseok wouldn't want me to know," she said, "I can tell you're nervous—"

"It's not that," Namjoon cut her, "I just want to help him— he's confused. A lot."

"Okay then, continue,"

"Well, one day he forgot to reply to her, yeah? And then the girl started dating his best friend."

"Oh," Yuna said, "That's... wow."

"So he's confused since he doesn't know what to do," Namjoon said nervously, "And females are honestly so confusing!" he bursts, telling her the thing that was bothering him the most. Yuna looked at him with big eyes after his outburst, and he silently added in, "No offence."

"So, what do you want me to do?"

"I want you to tell me what to do," Namjoon said, and then added after realisation, "So that I can tell him. Tell me what you think the ideal thing to do is."

"Well... first of all," she said, inching closer to Namjoon so that their knees touched, "Don't you have a bro code or something? The people I've dated before—"

"You've dated before??!" Namjoon cut her off, and she shrugged her shoulders.

"Yeah," she said, and then added to tease him, "Am I not that pretty?"

"No. That's not– that's not what I meant," Namjoon hastily replied, his palm leaving hers and cupping her cheek, "You are pretty. So beautiful," he said. He realised that both of them are so close that he could count the freckles that adorn her tanned skin, and how his big palm cups her small face nicely. Namjoon can feel her faint breath fanning his chin, and he quickly withdraws his palm, clearing his throat. "His best friend didn't know he was talking to her. He didn't tell his best friend the girl's name."

"But aren't you Hoseok's best friend?"

"Erhhh... I am," Namjoon said, "He has more than one best friend."

"Well, this is just my opinion, but I think," Yuna said, "There are two possibilities. First is that the girl — let's call her 'A', and then the best friend can be 'B' — So, A started dating B to make Hoseok jealous. That's the first possibility," she said, and then added, "But you should keep in mind that we aren't in high school to do something to make someone jealous."

"You're right..." Namjoon trails off, thinking about the situation.

"Or," she said, "The second possibility is that A wasn't interested in Hoseok from the beginning."

Namjoon sighed, "Probably the latter,"

"Tell Hoseok to not be sad, okay? I think he should talk it out with the girl and find out if there's something he might be missing. And tell him to try not to break someone's happy relationship," she said, moving her laptop out of the way, "Besides, there are so many more people in the world! Don't take much stress, yeah?"

"I feel bad for him, though. Poor guy," Namjoon said, a pout settling on his face.

"Try to forget about that for now, yeah?" Yuna said as she hugged Namjoon who was looking very sad, "You have a test, you probably should focus on that, hmm?"

"Yeah. Thank you," he said, and his lips brushed against her cheek. Both of them turned crimson, and Yuna didn't want to let go of the hug and so did Namjoon since it was the only way they could hide their flustered faces.

***

"Your essay is perfect," Namjoon said, returning her laptop to her. The guests were ready to leave for home, their bags packed. Just like you are.

"Thank you for inviting us over, hyung," Jungkook bowed towards the elder, thanking him.

"It was all good. We should do this often!" Namjoon exclaimed, giving a pat on the younger's back, "Where are you heading? Should I accompany you home?" He asked Yuna, who shook her head, smiling over at him, "We will probably go to grab dinner, I am in no mood to cook for these hungry pigs," she chuckled, pointing towards the youngsters, "Would you like to join us?"

"It would be my pleasure," Namjoon said and excused himself after asking them to settle comfortably on the couch.

"Oh, I am so hungry," Ara sighed, sitting back on the couch comfortably, "We studied so much today."

"Namjoon! I've got pork belly!" a foreign voice exclaimed followed by the rattling of keys. The door opened to an extremely handsome face adorned in all pink and a bag in his hand. "Oh!" he exclaimed, "Have I got the wrong house? The door opened with my keys though. Yah! You're robbers, aren't you?"

"Hyung!" Namjoon exclaimed as he walked towards the equally petrified trio on the couch, "Why do you always embarrass me? They're my guests." he said as he shot an apologetic smile to the three, "I'm sorry."

"Oh.." Seokjin laughed and then realised, "Jungkook-ah?"

"Jin hyung?" Jungkook squinted his eyes, "This is your house?"

"Namjoon is my dongsaeng. What are you doing here?"

"Stop it, you too! We're here too, you know?" Namjoon cut in, pulling his hyung towards the three, "Hyung, this is Yuna," he gestured towards her, "And this is Ara, the girl I tutor. And you know Jungkook, I guess. Guys, this is my brother, Seokjin."

"Hello, Yuna-ssi. It's a pleasure to meet you, and you too, Ara-ssi. And Jungkook, long time so see?" Seokjin high-fived the youngest, "This boy here comes into the restaurant with his family a lot," he gave context to the others, and they nodded.

"Well hyung, we're going out for dinner. We're in a hurry, bye!"

"Yah, there's no respect for elders," Seokjin grumbled, "Where do you think you are going when the main chef of the busiest restaurant in the city is right in front of you?"