21. The Beginning

It has only been three days, but it feels like forever for Cobie. She can't believe she finally sees the day when she's so enthusiastic to go to work. On Monday morning. With an ankle brace wrapping her ankle. It's safe to say that she just doesn't want to have piled-up work since she was taking her day off last Friday. Right?

But the small voice in the corner of her mind knows better the real reason why she's so eager to go to work today. And the reason is now standing in front of her.

"I didn't expect you would be coming to work," Luke says as he rests both his hands on his hips, his eyes traveling down to her ankle. No smile or smirk on his face. "It's not healed yet. Did you even get it checked?"

Ignoring all eyes peering at her, she clears her throat while carefully straightening her sitting position. "If getting checked by my aunt who used to be a nurse counts, then yes."

Luke frowns. "Isn't it better to stay home and get your work done from home?"

"No. I shouldn't be doing nothing, Luke. I need to be active to help my ankle heal faster. Also, I need to get my stuff back."

"What stuff?"

"Important stuff. A little thief took it from its respective place last Friday, and I think I know where to find him."

Luke raises his eyebrow. "Oh. He sounds dangerous. You should be careful."

"There is a very good reason I brought this with me." Cobie caresses the folded walking stick on her desk. She was reluctant to bring it this morning but her mom insisted. Surprisingly, she found it super handy for the long walk from the building entrance to her floor. "I can beat his rear into a pulp when I get my hand on him."

Luke gulps. "Alright. Good luck."

"Thank you," Cobie replies, flashing her sweet smile.

Luke doesn't smile back but his gaze turns softer. His left retina is still red but less in its intensity. If she looks closer, the swell on his jaw hasn't completely gone but it's now hidden under his five o'clock shadow. He must have skipped the shaving routine for that specific reason.

"Don't forget the team meeting is moved to eleven-thirty," he says as he pivots on his heels and strides to his office.

Now that Luke isn't standing in front of her cubicle, Lucy's face comes into view, her eyes wide open and jaws hanging.

"It's true, isn't it?" she asks after she manages to talk. "Oh my god! You guys are a thing."

"Huh?"

"I know he fought a guy last Friday because of you. Look at his face, and your ankle too. They are evidence to confirm the news!"

"But how...who told you that?"

"Someone saw you guys in the basement and ran to report it to the security, then the word went around so fast like bushfire."

"Oh."

"Are you and Luke really together?"

Cobie doesn't have to look around to notice several pairs of eyes are on her right now. Some of them are probably ready to squeal for winning the bet. "No," she says, answered by disappointed sighs from the audience. "Sorry to disappoint you, guys! Now, go back to work!" she shouts at them, chuckling.

People grumble and shift their attention back to their work except for Lucy. The girl plops down on her desk and fixes her gaze on Cobie, demanding story updates.

"Spill. I want to know more."