chapter 03.

iii.

Yang Jungwon walked through the hallway with heavy steps after catching Aerin and Sunoo together in the classroom. He did expect them to get closer but not this soon.

When the boy slid the door of Aerin's classroom open, he saw them having a conversation and it appeared to be going well. They were smiling and laughing, enjoying their time together, not minding the other students nearby. This shattered Jungwon's mood as he shut the door back close and walked away.

How badly he wanted to barge in and interrupt them, but Jungwon wasn't the type of person to do that. Even if he wanted to, he wouldn't do that to Park Aerin.

His legs brought him to the school courtyard at the center of the campus, an area where everyone spends their time during break. There were various flowers, a few trees, a stone pathway, and a few benches scattered around. Like a mini park.

Jungwon chose a random bench nearby and sat there, inhaling the fresh air of the early morning and the distant sound of birds chirping.

"Can I sit here?"

A soft voice spoke and Jungwon looked up at the owner, his eyes meeting a familiar girl he saw last week. She had straight mid-back length dark hair with thin bangs covering some of her forehead. She wore the school uniform: a white button-down shirt, a grey pleated skirt, black socks, black shoes, and a blazer with the school logo embroidered on the left chest side.

With a nod of his head, the girl placed herself down on the other side of the bench.

Jungwon noticed she was holding onto two juice boxes, one was opened and the other was unopened. He assumed she came from the vending machine before coming here. As he went back to stare at the scenery, he saw a juice box being extended in the corner of his eye.

"Take it," She spoke.

He gave her a puzzled look.

"I drank one already. Take it," She insisted, making eye contact with him. Jungwon reluctantly accepted the drink, thanking her afterwards. "My name is—"

"I know who you are," He cut the girl off from her self-introduction.

Jeon Mira was surprised, but it was to be expected. She let out a small smile after a few seconds, "Alright then, Yang Jungwon." She continued to take short sips of her blackberry juice with the straw.

To say the least, both of them knew who each other were. Yang Jungwon was one of the popular students here in Daehwi High School. He was well-known because of being the class leader for three years in a row, always getting nominated by his classmates. He had good grades as well, being one of the top five students on the chart, and not to mention his godly visuals and athleticism, making the girls and boys crazy.

Jeon Mira wasn't any different. She was popular but for a different reason. She was someone very outgoing and straightforward, tends to not leave a person behind, and include them in every activity, which made them comfortable with her presence. Adding the fact that the girl talks with everyone in her grade so it's impossible for them to not know who Jeon Mira is.

She recalled what happened this morning. When she arrived at school earlier than usual, she saw Park Aerin being the only student present in class as she scrolled through her phone in boredom.

Mira being Mira, started a conversation and it was somehow a chance for them to get to know each other.

It soon ended when Kim Sunoo barged into the classroom to greet Mira a good morning but froze upon seeing Aerin sitting beside her. With a gulp, the boy awkwardly made his way to them as his eyes were fixed on his crush who was looking away shyly.

Feeling the tension in the air, Mira started a topic that would pique their interest. A while later, Sunoo and Aerin started becoming comfortable as they shared their thoughts and opinions, forgetting about the person who made them interact.

Mira felt left out yet she knew she shouldn't come in between them. Even though Sunoo won't be hers in the end, she could still see him smiling brightly with someone he adored. She would be by his side as his best friend. It was better than nothing, right?

She was sure they didn't notice her absence when she decided to go outside, too busy with each other. She didn't need to be in a conversation she wasn't included in. Mira was just there at the scene.

Ironic isn't it? She was always the one to not leave a person out but right now, she was being left out.

Looking back, she kinda regretted setting them up. She regretted accepting Sunoo's request. And more importantly, she regretted making them converse.

What would have happened if she never went to the rooftop that day?