Chapter 17- The Duke's arrival

The night couldn't go worse... When I was finally ready to face my concerns with Cedric, my worst nightmare of all was coming through the door soon. And for that, I had no solution and no way out.

At least I was not alone in my suffering. I preferred not to suffer, but not facing Gobbie alone gave me a wicked sense of comfort. Barely, though. I am not sure how Miss Junette hadn't seen mine and Emmanuel's face twist, as if death were about to enter the room. Even in a dimly lit place, it was impossible to miss. The terror on his face, however, brought me back into that night. The memory of it was much more terrifying than the anger in Cedric's eyes. My last night at the Mountnero manor had been a horror story for me, even if Emmanuel guaranteed that the last part had just been illusions from the Flor di Aniz.

It didn't matter to me. I could still feel the cold air in my lungs as his blue eyes appeared in my mind. I was not ready to meet him yet.

Through an agitated Junette, we found more details about the Duke's sudden appearance. According to the message written by his aide (or sacrificial lamb...), the duke hadn't slept for three days straight, in order to finish the work the High Priestess had charged him with. Fearing for his health, she allowed him to leave the few missing tasks to one of his aides and gave him two holy horses for the journey to Aerabitina. He barely rested or ate. Instead, his journey was mostly about him racing against time, as if any moment lost meant a catastrophe was about to happen (in his head, maybe it meant that). The Duke would have arrived already, if not for the begging of the aide that came with him.

Typical.

I could already imagine the poor man begging on his knees, crying on his leg. However, I am surprised the duke caved in. That could only mean the trip and all those days of hard work had taken a toll on him and he must have felt exhausted. Not that it mattered much since the devil's spawn, Gobbie, was coming soon, way too soon. There was not much time to prepare for his arrival, and I shivered for me and Emmanuel.

"We need a plan." I said when Junette left our sight. My feet trotted around the room as my head worked on ideas.

"You need to sleep." came Emmanuel's voice, mellow and hypnotic.

"No, I can't. How can you say such? I have no desire to sleep." I replied, piercing him with a befuddled glance.

Idiot! I am trying to help us both, and he is talking about sleep!

My steps sharpened in pace and in noise, while my hands clutched together. I heard him sigh, and I wanted to punch him.

"You will." was the last words he said before my vision darkened at the corner of my eyes. Nooo!

My head became heavy and my arms and legs soggy. I felt being pulled by thousands of fireflies, my feet no longer on the floor. In my dazed state, I reached my hand out to him. "Emmanuel..." I called, and he turned his head, which had that suffering smile of his. Like he was a poor martyr. "You fucking bitch!" those were my last words, before sleep overpowered my will. I should have gone for a punch in the stomach. Or lower.

The next morning I awoke to the shrilling calls of Fanny, who was way too excited for a morning. She dressed me in my best dress and arranged my hair with a golden and simple hairpin, leaving my long hair flowing freely. She was supposed to escort me to our breakfast room, where the duke and Jenni were waiting to have our first meal together since the trip. However, I convinced her I needed some time by myself before I went. In her merry mood, she didn't even question my request and just went by herself to greet her lord.

I watched her go and counted time. Then, when enough had passed, I gathered a blessed pistol and some alchemy bullets and left my room in hurried steps. I needed time to think, space to breathe, and silence to calm my soul. My feet took me outside, to where the Goddess waited and I had passed my days practising the protection. I looked around, trying to find a place a horde of fireflies wouldn't locate me. I almost prayed, but the wind was generous and gave me my answer in the form of fallen leaves.