Chapter 13: Strangers

Undisclosed Location:

7:15 PM

-------------------------------------------------

Seraphina slammed the door to her sisters laboratory behind her and sat down in a nearby chair. As she sat she let out a massive sigh, indirectly signaling for her sisters attention, which of course earned it. Walking over, Leilah sat down across from her, still sporting her white lab coat and business attire.

"Sera, what's happened on the mission? I figured you would at least be happy from the report that I was given..." Leilah inquired.

"What did they tell you? My story is certainly different from theirs" Seraphina responded.

"The higher-ups were impressed with your willingness to forgo friendships for the cause, even standing up to two of your classmates for a fellow employee. You proved yourself, Sera!" Leilah continued.

*Sigh*

"Figures that's what they'd tell you..." she replied unenthusiastically.

"Sera... Is there something I should know about? There are no cameras in here, no listening devices, we aren't like the authorities you know" Leilah reassured her.

"Leilah... I had to betray my best friend, I had to break his heart even though I didn't want to! The very reason I agreed with your deal in the first place hates me now because I sold the act too hard!" Seraphina let out.

"At the end of the day, I went one step forward in the wrong direction, and several steps back from where I want to go" Seraphina finished.

"I'm sorry, Sera... I don't know what I can do for you to fix this. You know how limited we are" Leilah attempted to comfort her.

Then she had an idea. Even though it wasn't a long term fix, it could help to ease the pain in the moment.

"Ah! I have an idea!"

Seraphina looked to her sister, anticipating an answer

"Why don't we go down to Rowden before the organization relocates us and grab a drink! It would be the first time in a while that we've hung out, I think it would be a nice distractor from all this business talk!" Leilah presented.

"I don't kno-" Seraphina began, but was abruptly stopped by Leilah standing up and grabbing her arm to pull her out of her seat"

"We are going, and you can't stop it! Now get up and meet me outside" Leilah commanded.

"Fineeeeeeeeee" Seraphina regretfully accepted.

Leilah, satisfied with her answer, left the room to get ready. Seraphina slowly got up, and followed her out after a few minutes. When she left the building, Leilah smiled at her, reminding Seraphina of what it was like when they were younger and used to do things together.

'Maybe today will get a bit better...' thought Seraphina.

Catching up to her, they made their way to Rowden city...

----------------------------------------------

Rowden:

Hotel, Same Time

----------------------------------------------

Blyke decided to break the silence that had filled the room.

"So where will we be working in Wellston?" He asked John.

"Not sure, I have to find something" He replied.

They looked at each other, then Arlo decided to speak up and enter the conversation.

"I can handle that. My apartment has a large open area that we can use" Arlo added.