CHAPTER 22. Listening In

After finishing my delightful hot chocolate, fighting with Fin over a cloud that was definitely shaped like a chicken, and taking a long bubble bath, I changed into pajamas and went down stairs to see what havoc I could cause.

Kayla was reading on the couch, Dune watching tv, and Fin trying to complete a puzzle, so I slipped into the kitchen and paused, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear seeing Lion.

"Hey..." I trailed off as he glanced at me, seeming to be trying to fix something under the sink.

"I'm busy Raven," he said simply, scowling the the pipes that didn't want to work with him. I leaned on the counter and watched him silently for a moment.

"What do you think of the whole party thing?" I questioned, and Lion slowly looked up at me, not amused.

"I said, I'm busy,"

I nodded a few times before tilting my head to the side. "So, about the party, what do you thin-"

"Go bother someone else! I'm trying to fix this damn thing so we don't have a strange human repair man, all over the fucking house." He snapped and bent down, angrily trying to force something apart.

I frowned and crossed my arms. "It's a simple question, just answer and I'll move on." I bargained, not willing to move until he responded the way I wanted him to.

Lion slammed a wrench down and slowly met my eyes. "Raven I swear to-"

I threw my hands in the air. "Just answer my question! Good grief-" seeing rage and frustration, I muttered an apology and went back upstairs sulking.

I huffed and tried to watch tv for a while, before I grew bored and went wearily back down the stairs, plopping down on the couch beside Dune. "I'm bored," I whined, placing my head on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry to hear that," Dune told me, but didn't move his eyes from the television. I watched for a moment, intrigued by Gordon Ramsay's screaming and array of insults, before I moved my head on and off Dune's shoulder repeatedly.

"Can we do something?" I asked, and Dune shook his head, needing to know who would be eliminated this time.

I looked hopefully at Fin, but he gestured to the puzzle. "You're welcome to help me Raven, you can put together the naked-"

"No thanks, where's Cross?" I asked, figuring at least he would want to do something with me. Kayla looked over helpfully.

"I sent him shopping to get what we need for the party tomorrow." She told me, keeping eye contact for a brief moment before she went back to her book.

My brow furrowed. Cross went... Shopping? I wondered in surprise and nearly giggled in excitement when the doorbell rang. "I've got it," I announced, jumping to my feet.

Dune saluted. "Okay!" He told me, and we both nodded firmly before I ducked my head laughing and skipped to the door, taking a deep breath before throwing it open.

"Mr. Nicholas!" I cried and smiled up at him brightly.

He smiled before raising an eyebrow. "Just Nicholas, remember?" His words ever so slightly stern. I nodded and moved to the side, gesturing for him to come into the house.

"Okay, Nicholas," I said and placed my arms behind my back as he closed the door. "What brings you here?" I asked hopefully, wanting it to somehow include me.

His green eyes went briefly to the living room, eyeing Kayla with a frown, before he met my gaze. "I'm here to talk to River, actually,"

I deflated, shoulders sagging. "Oh," I mumbled, making Nicholas place a hand on my head.