Chapter 9

Saturday morning, dad called me home as the wedding preparations for my brother began. I wasn't planning on participating, having already decided to show up at the wedding rehearsal and the ceremony.

Mum wasn't home when I got there. Apparently, she went out with Kelly and her mother to try on the wedding dress. The wedding was a week away and my family were busy, and Kelly had torturously signed me up to be one of her bridesmaids. When she offered, I was ready to decline, but Cece warned me of Bridezilla and I didn't want to deal with the aftermath. They could not blame me for giving a bride a meltdown.

Dad was watching football when I walked in. He waved without glancing at me, yelling out for me to get him a beer from the kitchen. When I got back to the living room, he was still engrossed in the game. Dad was a retired coach of a local football team, and despite not being on the field anymore, he was still in love with the sport. He never missed any game.

"Your wife left you alone at home? This is why I don't believe in love," I remarked, removing my shoes to cross my legs on the couch. It was freezing, so I pulled on the hood of my hoodie and shoved my hands into my pockets.

He snorted in reply. "I called you here because I thought you would be bored cooped up in your apartment, not listen to you talk about my wife behind her back."

"Wow, dad. Thanks for telling me which side you are on."

"Oh, hush, Iris. You know I'm always on your side." He pats my lap without taking his eyes off the screen. "Speaking of that, what have you been doing lately, honey?"

"I thought spy mum must have told you everything."

He laughed. "Spy mum? That's a good one, but let's not tell her I laughed at that."

I full out grinned. "Do you remember my major was photography? The other day, I found a couple of pictures I had taken and my old camera-you know the one grandpa got me? It made me think a lot, and I have decided to continue taking pictures." I scratched my temple when I added, "I wanted to try my luck with a class and I sent in an application. I don't know if I'm going to get in, but that's something."

Dad paused his game and looked at me with a grin on his face. "Really? You're ready to go out there again?"

"Well, I have to. Who else is going to feed and clothe me?"

"You know if you ever need money, I will send it to you, sweetheart."

I smiled. "I know, dad, which is why I want to earn, so I don't have to ask you or mum. Do you know how it would make me feel if I keep asking you for money?"

Footsteps echoed on the second floor before I heard him running down the stairs. Moments later, Jason poked his head into the living room and noticed me curled up on the couch. The tension between my brother and I had lessened, but it wasn't completely evaporated. Still, I felt annoyed every time I saw him. He opted to remain standing, looking down at down at me as he continued to eat cereal in nothing but his shorts.

"Well, I wondered why the house suddenly felt like a giant ball of lava," he noted as he strode in, a spoon of cereal in his mouth and his arm clutching a bowl in place. "Please, don't disintegrate us, Iris. I'm getting married next week."

I put one arm over the couch. "I'm going to wonder the same thing when your bride leaves you on the altar because she realized what a terrible mistake it would be if she marries you."

Jason flipped me off. Not exactly the response I was hoping for.

Instead, I asked, "What are you even doing here? Don't you have a house, Jason, or did you lose it? But don't worry, I'm sure our old treehouse will fit you perfectly. If it doesn't, you can use the doghouse." My grin was so large and evil that he didn't fall for it. He just snorted and took another spoonful of cereal.