life after

The loudness of beeping cars and the bustling noises of busy people zip past my ears as I push my way through the rush hour crowd. It's the middle of December and it's freezing cold outside. Six thirty, I'm not late. Not yet.

George, who has already booked the entire day off, called me just about an hour and a half ago, to be sure that I hadn't forgotten. "Of course not," I'd promised over the phone. "How could I?"

But now, here I am. Running through working people who are all trying to get home on a Sunday evening. They probably think that's where I'm headed, too. Home.

Okay, so maybe I did forget, but it really, really wasn't my fault. We had three record deals passing through this evening and I had to be there, it just wasn't something I could get out of this time.

Wilbur also made me call up a bunch of the new guys who have just joined the company to set up a meeting tomorrow, and that took me all of an hour to work around everyone's schedules and by then I was really, really pushing my luck with the time.

The relief that washes over my shoulders when I get through the still-open doors of the large beige building just before seven is immeasurable. I'm still in my work clothes, but who will know the difference?

The guy stood at reception nods at me, taking one look at my face before he understands why I'm here. "Just down the hall, second double door on your right."

I flash him a brief smile, before rushing off down the way he directed me. Outside the double doors theres a sign, stood reading 'oldbrooke fifth grade dance recital.'

The door doesn't creak, it slides open smoothly and quietly, just to my delight. I almost, literally, let out a sigh of relief when I see that the stage is still left empty.

I shuffle my way up through the seats once I spot George, staring down accusingly at me whilst I move between people to my seat beside him, mumbling apologies to the people I have to slip by. The hall is dark, the only light source is the empty spot of silver directed at the stage.

"You forgot," he hisses, as soon as I sit down. He slaps me lightly on the arm with the list of songs and information about the recital. "I reminded you this morning, I called you not that long ago and you still forgot."

I lean in, pressing a kiss to the side of his head as he slaps me again lightly with the booklet. "I'm sorry" I murmur. "I'm here now, I wasn't technically late, I'm here."

"You're unbelievable," he says, but I know that he isn't mad. He get's how my work can be. His hand reaches over the side of his own chair, onto mine, and his fingers slot between my own. "Long day?"

"Very long day," I sigh, making sure to keep my voice low like the other people surrounding us are. His fingers squeeze mine, and his head slides over to rest gently against my shoulder.

"When we get home, I'll take care of homework and dinner and whatever else, and you can have a glass of wine," he assures me, his hair bristling the side of my face. It smells like raspberries, like his shampoo.

I turn my head to the side, so I can kiss his raspberry smelling hair. "Do you know how much I love you?" I whisper, letting my lips linger against the fluff of his hair. It tickles.

He just laughs quietly, and lets his fingers squeeze mine again. The two of us, and all the people around us, are silenced by the sudden start of music, and the shine of now golden lights that appear on the stage.