Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Siege

Chapter Thirty-Seven: 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖘𝖎𝖊𝖌𝖊.
word count; 4.3k

"Empty base, huh?"

Din had been the first person you saw when your team left the elevator. Apparently, he already wiped out all the stormtroopers from this floor. Surprisingly quick, actually. Gun in hand, he approached you guys while your group stepped forward.

"The reactor should be set in the heat shaft," Greef Karga explained, quickly cutting to the point of the plan without delaying any further. "If we drain the cooling line, this whole base will go up in a matter of minutes."

"Look!" Mythrol called out, excitement in his tone. "It's a mint trexler marauder. We can get a lot for this on the black market."

"And we'll be blowing it up along with the rest of this base," you added. "We're wasting time. We should go."

You, alongside the rest of the team, had quickly traveled throughout the Imperial base. Luckily, you had passed without detection, although you weren't sure how long that would last. Then, you entered what was presumably a control room. Cara had dealt with the single Imp overseeing the cameras, whilst you rushed to switch them all off and deactivate any alarms that may sound.

Once all that was over with, Karga probed through the Imperial's pockets and pulled out a code cylinder. "This'll come in handy."

"Look," you pointed towards one of the screens that displayed exactly what you were searching for.

Din had been right by your side to view it as well. "We found the heat shaft. Let's go."

Immediately, the group hastened down the corridors that directed to the heat shaft. What felt like an eternity passed whilst your team rushed down the endless, grey hallways. As you were passing an intersection at one point, a pair of stormtroopers had appeared down one of the halls and the group had hastily backed up behind the wall to conceal themselves from the soldiers. They hadn't spotted either of you, luckily, although in the process Cara had accidentally stepped on one of your feet and... you nearly yelped out loud, but prevented yourself from doing so. Cara had whispered a silent apology, since that was all she could do at the moment. As the stormtroopers turned the corner—which also meant they turned their backs on you and hadn't seen anybody—everyone continued down the other corridor before them.

"There," Din voiced as soon as a gate came into view. "Mythrol, slice that door."

"Use the code cylinder," Karga suggested, handing the silver key to Mythrol.

Within a  few seconds, the alien had the gate opened, revealing the heat shaft within it. As soon as the door raised, the heat had immediately struck you and the sweat already beginning to form by your temple from the constant running around had worsened. Warmth magnifying the further you stepped inside, you prompted yourself—alongside everyone else—to peer down into the profound pit that extended deep down into the planet. Searing lava pooled the bottom of the shaft, earning a 'woah!' from Mythrol and a remark from Karga. Besides you, though, Din had set a hand to your arm, stopping you from nearing the edge any further.