Chapter 50

'N... Why do I feel like I am talking to L?' Light thought in shock, "I told you we wouldn't rely on. But that is a bit of an understatement, the FBI and CIA had specifically asked if I could be the head of the investigation, not you" Near said with a bit of sass.

"Having said that, we are outraged by the recent murder of the Director of the NPA, we feel something must be done. After reviewing the information, I believe there is a possibility that solving this case will lead to the arrest of Kira. As such, I'm willing to lend you my full support" Near informed while twirling a piece of hair.

'Will lead to the arrest of Kira? Who is he anyway? This confidence...' Light thought, accidentally going silent. "Is there a problem... L?" Near said a bit aggressively, taking Light off guard. "N-No! It's just that... Following the death of Takemura, Deputy Director Yagami's daughter was kidnapped, and he believes it's the same person who is behind it, he arranged a trade-in Los Angeles" Light informed.

"A trade? The girl in exchange for the notebook, I assume" Near said, sounding like he is taking a wild guess. "Yes," Light confirmed, "understood, I'll have a team on standby in LA. But for now, they will be working on a need-to-know basis, also I can monitor the city, via satellite... Or... On second thought, I'll let you have full authority on this L" Near said, quickly hanging up.

"Near, is it safe to leave this case in the hands of a fake L? He hasn't had any success in catching Kira so far" the Commander said with doubt. "I'm aware of that... That's why it's a good idea, it means it'll be an opportunity to take advantage of them. Of course, saving people's lives is important, but as the SPK our primary goal is pretty clear, we'll work to get the notebook, then capture Kira once and for all" Near informed, somewhat reassuring the Commander.

"WHAT?! NO WAY! YOU REALLY WANT US TO GO TO LOS ANGELES WITH YOU?!" Misa said excitedly. "Yeah, there is a chance I'm going to need your eyes this time, so I want you both close by" Light informed. "OH LIGHT! YOU'RE THE BEST!" Misa exclaimed, trapping Light in a hug, while (Y/n) is on the couch petting Misa's pet bird.

"Oh my gosh, I better start packing right away!" Misa exclaimed, running off to her room. "(Y/n), I want you to stick by me the whole time, I don't want you getting into trouble" Light informed while walking off somewhere. "Let's see... Which one should I bring... I can't decide! Light! Which do you like?" Misa questioned, only to see that he isn't in the room.

"I like the red one... It brings out your eyes" (Y/n) mumbled out, but Misa heard. "Thanks (Y/n)! You're the best! Oh! Come on you have to pack as well! I'll help you out!" Misa exclaimed, tossing her dresses into her bag and running up to (Y/n). She then grabs (Y/n)'s hand and runs off to the other room to grab clothes and a bag, thankfully (Y/n) puts the bird back in the cage before being dragged off.

When (Y/n) and Misa passed the bathroom Light are in, they hear him mumble something. "If things go badly... I may have to kill Sayu" Light mumbled out. Both (Y/n) and Misa heard what he said, shocking them greatly to the extent he will go. 'That monster... He's willing to kill his own family!' (Y/n) thought with a scowl.

The next morning, Light is carrying his bag, along with (Y/n)'s bag, while Misa is pushing along her own bag. "Light, seriously, you don't have to carry my bag..." (Y/n) mumbled out shyly. Light ignored her, continuing to their airplane, when they got into the airplane, Light gently pushed (Y/n) into the seat, and took the one next to her. This caused Misa to move to the seat behind (Y/n)'s seat.

They eventually made it to Los Angeles and got a hotel to stay in, Misa and (Y/n) are currently unpacking. "Someone has intercepted him at Nandita, should I arrest him?" Aizawa said urgently. "Calm down Aizawa, don't make any sudden moves, I can understand your concern, but arresting him now will accomplish nothing" Light demanded.

"Keep your distance, and don't lose sight of them!" Light ordered, only for Aizawa to gasp. "Damnit, they are boarding a different flight they originally planned. I'll tell them at the gate that I'm a police officer, and they'll-" Aizawa started only to be interrupted by Light.

"Get ahold of yourself! You'll just blow your cover, and the operation will be ruined, can you find out where the flight is headed?" Light asked after snapping some sense into Aizawa. "Let's see... This one is going to LA too" Aizawa said in surprise, he was expecting the flight to go somewhere else.

On the CNR, the news of Soichiro's flight taking a detour is being played, thus getting a call from Matsuda. "This is bad Light, the Deputy Director's flight has just changed directions, the passengers are going to be dropped off somewhere, they could only be him" Matsuda informed, making Light grit his teeth.

'Damn, what the hell is going on? I already checked today's flight crews and passenger lists ahead of time! No one on board was suspicious, the Pilot's a veteran of over 15 years, and the Co-pilot checks out too! Then the kidnappers are influenced enough to convince these people, it looks like I have no choice' Light thought while whipping out his phone.

"Director, this is L, get me N" Light demanded through the phone, "N, I'm sure you're aware of our current situation. I need you to do me a favor, can you notify the airlines and police-military on your end not to take any action" Light demanded. "What's he thinking? I never realized he's this unreliable" the Commander commented, not trusting the new L's judgment.

"Alright L... Agreed, we'll locate the landing site, and keep surveillance over the area using our satellite video feed. If there is anything else we can do, don't hesitate to let us know" Near informed willingly. Meanwhile, with Soichiro, he is listening to Mello discuss with him.

"Yagami, right now you're the only one who can hear my voice, listen very carefully. I'm the one who kidnapped your daughter, don't get the wrong idea, I have no interest in your daughter's life. One way or the other, or yours for that matter, there is only one thing I want right now, and you know what that is... The notebook" Mello informed.

"Now all you have to do is follow my instructions, if you do that, no one has to die. As for the trade, I prepared things so that both of us can walk away satisfied, play along and there will be no problems" Mello said casually, while Soichiro is ashamed that he is handing off the notebook to some criminal.