part sixty-eight

This afternoon Juno stands in front of an upscale diner on the south side of town, clutching her new Dior purse closer to her chest, an upgrade over her brown satchel purely for appearances. Today, she needs to look at buttoned-down and put together as possible.

Although, really, it couldn't be farther from the truth.

Juno swings the entrance doors wide open and walks inside. Her eyes scan the space for a few seconds before landing upon her boyfriend waiting at a table on the far side, and she starts heading over.

Haechan whistles lowly as Juno approaches. "Can I please have your number?"

Juno's cheeks warm with pleasure as she leans down to kiss him softly before taking the seat next to his. "You think this outfit is appropriate?"

"You look divine, Sherry. And why wouldn't it be?" Haechan props his elbow up on the table, his gaze trained on her in that knowing way of his. This August has proved to be the hottest month yet, so Juno is in a silk sleeveless sage green minidress with dark sunglasses atop her head and feet adorned in gold strappy wedge sandals. It all looks breezy and effortlessly stylish, but Haechan knows better. "You spent over an hour turning your closet upside down because you were stressing over what to wear, didn't you?"

"You're wrong," Juno replies. "It was only about fifty-seven minutes."

He chuckles lightly and tugs on a lock of her dark hair. "My mother won't hate you because of what you're wearing."

Juno sighs. "I have to make a good first impression."

"You'd really have to fuck up really badly, because all I've done for weeks is sing your praises." Haechan's nose wrinkles. "She said she's sick of me."

"Thanks for the damage control." Juno glances over at him. "Also, will you come by later? Jubin keeps asking for you." Her little brother had fallen in love with Haechan from the moment they'd met, the two immediately becoming thick as thieves and collectively the bane of Juno's existence. Even her own parents would join them to gang up against her, and that included her father, who'd done his best to scare Haechan off in the beginning. But the boy was relentless, so he'd given up quickly.

"Sure, but only because I want to see Jubin," Haechan smirks.

"Should I be jealous?" she quips absently.

Haechan's eyes study her face. She's nervous, but there's something more to it, something he can't quite put his finger on. "You okay?"

"I'm good." Juno blinks out of her thoughts. "Just a little anxious." She's put off meeting his family for as long as possible, and today, her anxiety is through the roof. She inhales deeply again, shutting her eyes. When they reopen, Haechan is still staring at her, but with the most satisfied smirk lurking on his lips. Juno scowls. "Is my nervousness funny to you, Sunshine?"

"A bit," he admits. "Why are you so jittery, anyway? It's just my mom."

"Well, I want her to like me. Is that so bad?"

"No. It's cute." He grins. "But stop freaking out. You'll be fine."

Juno just huffs out a breath while puffing her cheeks, and Haechan leans over to pinch them. Her lips twist into a playful frown that he swiftly kisses away, and she can't help but lean into him, suddenly feeling calmer.

Haechan always has so much love to give, to anyone and everyone. And especially to her. It's her absolute favorite thing about him. That feeling of safety and security and being cared for is unparalleled, so she's been working as hard as possible to ensure he feels that way too, with her.