Providence (Part 2)

Skye's POV

"Coordinates are about a seven miles hike from here. Terrain's pretty rough, even if it wasn't covered with snow," Coulson told us as we geared up.

"Agent May and I can lead a scouting party first, make sure this isn't a trap," Trip offered.

"There's no time. In less than eight hours a NATO satellite will pass directly over us. If The Bus is still here, they'll know. I've been doing this long enough to know that something's up there. But this mission, has to be your choice," Coulson said, looking specifically at Fitz-Simmons. "A lot has changed in the last few days. I know you all have your doubts about what we've been doing, about me." I watched as he glanced around at everyone else and then over to May. But something about the way he looked at me told me that at the very least he knew he could count on my support. "But I don't. Which is why I'm going to find whatever Fury has waiting for us...with you or without you." He hit a button on the wall opening the hatch as I looked at the others.

Coulson pulled out his badge and a compass looking at them both. The hatch opened completely and he started walking. I lifted my backpack up higher on my shoulder and immediately followed. Smiling to myself as I noticed the others slowly begin to follow as well.

*****

I found myself extremely grateful for my fire powers as we continued to walk through the snow, which allowed me to heat up my body temperature and stop me from freezing to death. I sped up and I noticed May sighing every now and then, wanting to get her take on things. I trusted Coulson but that didn't mean I wasn't worried about him. And she had known him longer than anyone else on the team.

"You think he's okay?" I asked her.

"It's been a rough couple of days," she replied.

"That's not what I meant," I told her.

"Don't act like you know what Fury had me do," May scoffed. I rolled my eyes. Was May ever going to not be standoffish with me? There were brief moments where I thought we were making progress and then she would go back to being cold and distant.

"Well, he had you spy on him for a reason. So what was it?"

I stopped walking as May turned to look at me with a sigh.

"Fury was concerned about Coulson finding out the truth. The doctors thought it would have negative consequences," she said.

"Like what? Like he'd go crazy? Spontaneously combust or something?"

May shook her head.

"It's not clear. All I know is he seemed stable until today. And now he has us in the middle of nowhere, chasing ghosts," May grumbled.

"That's because his whole world fell apart," I reminded her.

"He's not alone in that," May said and I suddenly felt bad as I realized that May must be handling the downfall of Shield hard as well.

May started walking again and I quickly followed.

"This is it! There's got to be something here!" I heard Coulson shout out.

Everyone entered the clearing looking around.

"There's got to be something here. Stay alert, eyes open," Coulson said.

"How long should we look before thinking about heading back?" I asked him as I walked over.

"We're not going back, not until we find whatever Fury has waiting for us," Coulson replied stubbornly.

"What about the satellite?" Trip asked.

"It doesn't matter. The Bus used all its remaining fuel just to get us here," Coulson informed us.