Picture Perfect

AnnaLeigh Malfoy

When I was a kid, I dreamt of having a normal life. A house, my own family, a husband and maybe even a dog. I Dreamt we lived in peace just like my mother and I did.

But as I got older, I realised that having a life like that requires more work than any other. The effort you have to put into raising kids, making sure they're well mannered and they stay away from drugs.

Having the strength to be the bigger person and walk away from a fight that you know has no end. Having the courage to chase away that closet monster or investigate the noise they hear under their bed late at night.

Keeping them clean and well fed, having the discipline to say no when all you wanna do is cave in and say yes or even having to put on a brave face when all you wanna do is break down and cry.

But you have to be strong, strong for them. Being a parent or guardian is more tiring then working hours at a quarry because at the end of the day, you get to go home and relax until the next day. But with parenting, it doesn't stop, it never stops.

No matter how old you or your child gets, it'll always be a job you're on call for. It can be draining and sometimes, they slip through the cracks, walk down the wrong path. That's not always a lost cause because some can come back, work on themselves.

But, then there's the ones that no matter how hard you try, are just missing and impossible to find.

It's shattering to watch when this happens, knowing there ain't a thing you could do. Especially since you tried your best, staying by their side during their sick nights and letting them go for their first day of school.

Sometimes you can never really help the way they turn out and that always sucks.

On the outside, Our family was mere picture perfect. We had two beautiful and healthy kids, Draco and I were a couple pleasing to the eye.

Nobody knew what lie behind closed doors.

Draco is never to blame for the way Scorpius turned out, no one is. Sometimes there's just a switch in their brain that they were born with and one day, it just flicks on without warning and there isn't a way back from that.

When I met Scorpius, there was no way of telling the way our relationship would end. At one point, he was the love of my life and I was so convinced that we would grow old together and have a life like I just described.

Never in a million years did I expect anything to go the way it did. From meeting Draco to having that life with him instead. Scorpius was a mere stepping stone it took me four years to climb over. 

And even then I was never really over him. I just... forgot about what I thought we had and replaced it what I knew Draco and I shared.

After all he did, it wasn't easy to accept the fact that he had suddenly changed and wanted to apologise. I still haven't accepted it even when I know I want too because I know he's really trying.

I haven't seen him since he stormed out a week ago. I haven't seen much of Draco either. It's just been my kids and I while Draco was wrapped up in trying to find out who kidnapped me and impersonated Scorpius.

The days have been slow and full of the same routine. The kids find ways to entertain themselves, god, they are so easily entertained. But me? Im not. I sit and I ponder on thoughts that shouldn't even worry me until I feel like I wanna throw up and the world would end if I didn't get an answer.

Most days I didn't.

Right now I felt as though my head was spinning and the alcohol wasn't helping. I thought back to that night in the wine cellar, the things I felt and what I heard, was it even real? Was it somehow connected to what happened with Scorpius?