Chapter 13 - Trains of Thought

After Dash had unloaded his cargo, he went onboard the Outrider. The blizzard outside hindered him from leaving and so he sat down in the ship's midsection after he poured himself a drink. He propped up his legs on the Dejarik table and took a sip of the Corellian brandy. This was right what he needed now, after his encounter with Nomi Darklighter. He had to admit that he was surprised to see her here on Hoth, but that he was also happy that he had seen her again. But then she threw cold water on his hopes. He took another sip of his drink savoring its taste. Leebo entered the ship and walked over to him after closing the hatch. The droid looked at his partner questioningly.
"Do you want to talk, Dash?" He asked after he had processed Dash's expression his sensors had detected. It was clear that his partner wasn't happy. This was pretty unusual after a successful run and the credits received for it. The droid stood there waiting patiently.
Dash took another sip of his drink, tumbling the rest of it in his glass, before he answered the droid's question. For years the droid was his only companion and he was used to share his thoughts with him. But this time it was another case. What did a droid know about love and how complicated it could be?
"I was so sure we could continue where we left, Leebo," the mercenary said and took another sip of his drink.
"I don't understand, Dash," the droid replied, since he had no idea what his partner was talking about. He hadn't seen Nomi since he was busy overseeing the unloading operations.
Dash took his feet from the Dejarik table and sat up, putting the glass aside after taking the last sip of his drink.
"Nomi is here. I was so happy to see her again, after we had such a good time on Tatooine. But she left me out in the rain." He sighed. "I thought she might be the one back then." He cast a glance at Leebo who stood there unfazed because of what his partner just said and confessed.
"Why haven't you told her? You humans are so illogical sometimes," the droid, a LE-BO2D9 model, retorted, tilting his head and turning his photoreceptor toward Dash.
"You should know that it isn't this easy for me to speak about my feelings, especially since...," the smuggler didn't end the sentence, but the droid knew very well what Dash meant. If he would have been human he would have rolled his eyes. But being a droid he only kept his photoreceptor on Dash as he processed the information his partner gave him.
"Then show her how important she is to you, Dash," he finally suggested, before he walked over to the cargo bay to recharge.
Show her how important she is to me. That's easier said than done. Dash thought to himself, but he would do his best to get Nomi back.

Meanwhile Nomi was on patrol. The blizzard hit her full force and it was nearly impossible to tell the horizon from the frozen plains. She took the binocular, but it didn't help. There was only white to be seen. Her Tauntaun made some noises and turned in the direction where Echo Base was.
"Steady girl, steady," Nomi said and caressed the animal's neck. "Our patrol isn't over yet. I would also prefer to be back at base instead of being here in the cold."
To see Dash again was a surprise and Nomi noticed that she still had feelings for him. But should she take up their relationship again? She wrapped the scarf tighter around her face to keep away the biting cold. While making her way to the second marker, she could barely see, she continued her line of thought. It would depend on Dash's behavior if she would take him back. She wouldn't make it too easy for him.
The Tauntaun suddenly fell in a gallop, but Nomi gave it its head. There was no need to hold her riding animal back, since she trusted its instincts. Maybe there was a reason why it changed its speed. It didn't take long and they reached the second marker. The blizzard had increased in speed and power. It became more and more difficult to see anything. Nomi wiped the snow off her goggles and activated the comlink in her glove.
"Echo 10 for Echo Base, do you read me?"
There was only statics to be heard and so the young woman gave it another try.
"Echo 10 for Echo Base, do you read me?"
Finally there was an answer, but it was hard to understand. Nomi turned up the volume.
"We read you, Echo 10," the response came loud and clear now.
"There's nothing out here. My scanners show nothing unusual. I'll make my way back," the Rogue Squadron pilot said, still trying to see anything in the whirl of snow surrounding her.
"Copy that, Echo 10. You are the last patrol out there. We will close the shield doors soon," the female voice said before the connection was cut.
Nomi swore under her breath and turned the Tauntaun.
"Time to go home, girl," she whispered in the animal's ear.
Home must have been the keyword as Nomi's Tauntaun picked up pace and reached Echo Base at a record time, despite the blizzard.

As soon as they entered the hangar, which they had to pass on the way to the Tauntaun stables, the shield doors closed with a loud bang. Nomi breathed a sigh of relief and her riding animal gave a noise which sounded happy somehow. The young woman dismounted the Tauntaun after reaching the stable and left it in its keeper's care.
When she walked through the small hallways back to her quarters Fuzzy came toward her, beeping frantically. The droid seemed to be upset because of something, but Nomi was unable to understand the line of beeps and chirps Fuzzy uttered. She followed the R2 unit to her quarters and opened the door. Now she understood what annoyed her astromech.
She stared at the man sitting at the small table.
"What are you doing here, Dash?"
Fuzzy rolled over to Dash and beeped angrily at him.
"Hey, calm down, you bucket of bolts. Nomi is a friend of mine," he said and stood up, taking the steaming mug which stood in front of him at the table. Then he walked over to Nomi, offering her the mug. "I thought you would need something warm after being on patrol out in the cold."
Nomi cast a glance at the mug before she looked at Dash again.
"These are my quarters, Dash," she said, but took the mug out of his hand to take a sip. The tea was what she needed right now. "It would be better if you leave now."
The mercenary nodded his head and walked over to the door followed by Fuzzy who wanted to quicken the man's pace.
"Stop it, Fuzzy, he's leaving already," Nomi said after taking another sip of tea. The door closed with a hiss. She smiled. Dash was on a good way.