Chapter 42 - pirates!

- Third POV -

"I've checked all the shops on this pier. Not a lotus tile in the entire marketplace!" Exclaims Iroh.

"It's good to know this trip was a complete waste of time for everyone!" Shouts Zuko furiously.

"Quite the contrary. I always say, the only thing better than finding something you are looking for is finding something you weren't looking for at a great bargain!" Beams Iroh. Zuko's crew members begin to walk past the two while holding a tsungi horn.

"You bought a tsungi horn?" Complains Zuko in disbelief.

"For music night on the ship. Now if we only had some woodwinds. Oh, this place looks promising!" Says Iroh while pointing at the pirate's ship. The two enter the ship.

"Oh that is handsome! Wouldn't it look magnificent in the galley?" Gasps Iroh as he sees a small statue of a monkey.

"We lost the Water Tribe girl and the little bald monk she was traveling with" Sighs a pirate. Zuko turns around to face the captain and pirate.

"This monk, did he have an arrow on his head?" Asks Zuko.

❀❀❀

Aang and Katara are near the river practicing their waterbending while Sokka watches them. Mizuki left to get some fresh water and vegetables for dinner.

"I just want to try this one move first and then it's all yours. Here, hold it open for me" Says Katara while handing Aang the waterbending scroll.

"The single water whip. Looks doable" Mumbles Katara. She attempts the move, but ends up hitting herself in the forehead.

"Ow!" Groans Katara while Sokka starts laughing. Katara glares at Sokka.

"What's so funny?" Snaps Katara.

"I'm sorry, but you deserved that" Chuckles Sokka. Then, he turns around to face Aang.

"You've been duped, she's only interested in teaching herself" States Sokka.

"Aang will get his turn once I figure out the water whip" Continues Katara as she tries the move again, but hits Momo instead, who screeches.

"Ugh, why can't I get this stupid move?" Sighs Katara frustrated.

"You'll get it. You just gotta shift your weight through the stances, just how Mizuki explained it earlier" Explains Aang as he tries the waterbending move and does it perfectly on the first try.

"There, see, the key to bending is-" Says Aang but he gets cut off by Katara.

"Will you please shut your air hole? Believe it or not your infinite wisdom gets a little old sometimes!" Shouts Katara angrily. Mizuki's eyes widen out of shock as she approaches the trio, holding a vase filled with fresh water. She puts it down and rushes towards the others.

"Why don't we just throw the scroll away since you're so naturally gifted?!" Yells Katara while making gestures with her hands.

"That's enough Katara, give me the scroll!" Demands Mizuki sternly. Katara hands her the scroll over and turns around angrily while Mizuki puts the scroll under her belt. She turns around to face Aang, who has tears in his eyes. Mizuki quickly embraces him. Sokka glares at Katara from where he's sitting.

"What?" Snaps Katara. She looks back at Mizuki, who's hugging Aang. Katara notices Aang's teary eyes and starts to feel guilty.

"Oh my gosh, Aang, I'm so sorry. I don't know what came over me. But you know what, it won't happen again. Mizuki, keep the scroll, I don't want to have anything to do with it anymore" Apologizes Katara.

"It's okay Katara" Replies Aang as he lets go of Mizuki.

"What about Momo? He's the real victim here" States Sokka. Katara bends down to pet Momo.

"I'm sorry Momo" Whispers Katara calmly.

"And what about me? There was that time you-" Mocks Sokka.

"No more apologies!" Exclaims Katara.

❀❀❀

Zuko's boat sails down a river along with the pirate ship.

"Shouldn't we stop to search the woods?" Asks the captain confused.

"We don't need to stop. They stole a waterbending scroll, right?" Replies Zuko.

"Mhm" Nods the Captain.

"Then they'll be on water" States Zuko. Katara, Sokka, Aang and Mizuki are sleeping by the campfire. Mizuki quietly sneaks away from the camp. However, when she turns around she comes face-to-face with Momo, who starts chattering.

"Shh, Momo! Go back to sleep! I won't leave, I'm just gonna practice my waterbending for a bit" Whispers Mizuki, but Momo decides to sit on the top of her head.

"Momo, stop it!" Whispers Mizuki a little bit louder as she walks towards the river and tries to push Momo off her head. Momo jumps off her head and grabs the scroll.

"Momo! Give me the scroll back. Right now!" Whisper-yells Mizuki as she starts chasing Momo. Suddenly, Mizuki steps on a branch, breaking it.

"Momo you're gonna wake the others" Snaps Mizuki as she grabs Momo by his tail. The captain and Zuko turn their heads around as they hear someone nearby. Mizuki takes the scroll from Momo away and puts Momo on the ground. 

"Bad lemur!" Scolds Mizuki while Momo looks down at the ground, guilty. There's a loud noise heard, Mizuki turns around to see what the noise came from. However, she gets grabbed by a pirate from behind.

"Don't touch me!" Shouts Mizuki as she bends a small stream from the river, turning it into a whip and hitting the pirate. She quickly runs away from the pirate but bumps into someone else. Mizuki looks up, only to see that she bumped into Zuko. Zuko grabs her wrists and looks into her eyes.

"I'll save you from the pirates" He says while Mizuki gulps nervously.

<time skip, Mizuki is tied to a tree>

"Tell me where the Avatar is and I won't hurt you or your friends" Threatens Zuko as he stands in front of Mizuki.

"Is that how you greet your friends? No wonder you don't have any" Mocks Mizuki. Zuko glares at her and sighs.

"I don't know why you hate me so much. But try to understand, I need to capture him to restore something I've lost. My honor" Explains Zuko. Mizuki rolls her eyes at him.

"Perhaps in exchange I can restore something you've lost" Suggests Zuko while holding up Mizuki's water pouch.

"My water pouch! How did you get that?!" Exclaims Mizuki.

"Well uh, I didn't steal it. If that's what you're wondering" Replies Zuko awkwardly as he puts Mizuki's water pouch under his belt.

"Now, tell me where he is" Demands Zuko.

"No" Answers Mizuki dryly.

"Enough of this small talk garbage! You promised a scroll!" Shouts the captain angrily.

"I wonder how much this is worth..." Says Zuko as he holds it up with one hand and creates a small flame in his other hand, threatening to burn the scroll. The pirates gasp loudly and Mizuki tries to kick Zuko.

"A lot, apparently. Now you help me find what I want, you'll get this back, and everyone goes home happy. Search the woods for the boy and meet back here" Smirks Zuko.

"Fine" Grunts the captain.

To be continued

Word count: 1135