thirty-two

Areum limped her way to her room as she held the doctor's coat and glasses close to her chest. She opened the door and widened her eyes at the sight of Beomgyu sitting on a chair.

He was holding a bouquet as he looked around nervously. She held her gun tightly, preparing to protect herself.

He sighed and put the bouquet on the table, "Areum, I'm so sorry."

She saw his hand that was bandaged due to it being shot. He glanced at her wounded leg, "Does it still hurt?"

She stayed silent and looked away, wondering where Ni-ki had gone to. "I'm really sorry, Areum," he sobbed and kneeled on the floor.

She rushed towards him, "What the hell are you doing?! Stand up!"

"No! I've hurt you! I couldn't believe what I'd done."

"Can I have my phone and car keys back?" She asked nervously. He gave her a soft smile, "Sure. Only if you come with me to a different hospital. I'll take you to a better one and have them treat you like a princess there."

She frowned, "Beomgyu, you have to stop controlling me. I like it here."

"Is this because of Heeseung?"

"I've fallen out of love. I don't love you anymore so please, stop controlling my life like I'm some puppet. You have treated me so nice all these years but my heart doesn't belong to you anymore. Let's break up."

His heart dropped as he looked at her with stunned eyes. He tightened his grip around the bouquet and lowered his head.

"I don't understand. I paid for the house, I bought you the car, your expensive handbags and clothes and other things too. What do I lack, Areum?"

"You can't win my heart with money, Beomgyu. I'll return all of the things you bought for me. You can keep the clothes in the closet. I'll move out of the house as soon as possible when I get out of this hospital."

"Where are you going to stay?"

"I still have my parents. And I also have money to rent a house. You don't have to be worried."

He nodded and chuckled, amazed at his stupidity for hurting the woman he ever loved. He handed her the flowers, "Still, please take this. It makes me a bit relieved that you're better now. I'm sorry, Areum."

She hesitantly took the flowers from him and smelled them. She flashed a soft smile, "I'm sorry too. When you find someone new, please don't hurt them."

"It'll probably take years for me to find someone new. I've loved you since we were in middle school."

She watched as he nodded before leaving the room.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

"Time of death, 2:30 in the morning," Sunghoon said as he took off his mask. The body on the operating table still oozed out blood as some of them splashed on Heeseung's face.

Jake sighed and nodded at the other surgeons, complimenting them on their good work. The other surgeons left the operating room, leaving the three best friends.

"Wash your face, Heeseung. You don't want Areum to see that" Sunghoon teased as he took off his gloves. Heeseung's cheeks started to blush, "What?"

"Oh stop the act. I know you both were about to kiss," he cooed. Jake widened his eyes, "Really?! You finally found someone?!"

"Hey! I can get other girls, okay? So what if we almost kiss?" Heeseung frowned as he washed his face. "You never tell us what happened between you and the detective," Jake said as he leaned against the wall.

Heeseung turned off the water tap and sighed, "It's a long story. I was the reason for the breakup. That's all you have to know."

"You still don't wanna tell us?" Sunghoon asked as he followed the surgeon from behind.

"No."

"Wait until I get Jiah. You'll be dead."

Jake frowned and smacked Sunghoon's head, "She has school. You can't keep bringing her here."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Heeseung drank champagne from the bottle as he watched the city lights flicker. The view of Seoul caught his attention. It was the only thing that relaxes him after a long surgery.

He stood alone at the rooftop, enjoying his time until the door opened. Areum stood at the doorway, confused to see him there.

"What are you doing here? You shouldn't walk around. Your leg is healing," he nagged. She frowned, "Are you going to be drunk alone here?"

He sighed and was about to argue back until she took the champagne from him, gulping it down. "I just broke up with Beomgyu," she muttered.

He averted his gaze at her, "What did he say? Did he hurt you?"

She shook her head, "No. He took it really well. He gave me flowers and left the building."

He nodded and took the alcohol away from her, "That's enough. You're gonna get drunk."

"How do you know if I'm going to get drunk? You haven't seen me drink alcohol yet."

"Still, it's mine."

She gave him a death stare and coughed as the liquid still lingered around her throat. The sight of him started swaying as her head started to spin.

"You're right. I think I'm drunk," she mumbled. He chuckled and drank the champagne. She glanced at him and felt her chest heavy. She felt like she needed to do something and they both wouldn't like it.

"Heeseung, if I do this, I'm not sure if I'm going to remember it."

The doctor hummed in response, flashing a confused look. She grabbed him by the collar and pulled him into a kiss. His eyes widened as he tried to process what just happened.

I don't care if you're drunk or sober.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and deepened the kiss.