Chapter 10

The next few weeks passed... How could (Y/N) explain it? Both quickly and slowly. There wasn't much she could do, most of her time spent laying down, occasionally sitting, and eating food. She tried to shower as much as possible as well, it being one of the few activities she could do. But, as much as she was doing barely anything, it had been nice and relaxing.

Sonic had also kept himself busy, offering help with chores around the house. It was his way of thanking Tangle and Whisper for their hospitality. When he wasn't cleaning the dishes or organising a few things here and there (with Tangle's permission of course), he was chilling next to the (a/t) and making sure she was comfortable and happy. Sometimes, the two would mention the plans for their next move, and over time they both finally had an idea on what to do once they left.

(Y/N) was really appreciative for Sonic's presence. The two got along really well, and she was happy to have this time with him; they barely had time alone during the war, so to finally have this time together, it really helped see just how well the two fit together. But there was still some tension in the air, the two got along well, but neither seemed able to forget what happened when they both left the Resistance. The (a/t) has wanted to talk about it since Sonic appeared, and Sonic wants to mention it too, but the longer they stayed with Tangle and Whisper, the less privacy it felt like they had.

It was killing (Y/N); like this annoying storm cloud that was holding back the rain and refusing to move away. Aside from the broken ribs, it was one of the only discomforts of the past few weeks. And now that her ribs were healing, it was becoming the most distracting problem.

Which is why the (a/t) was so relieved when she and Sonic both agreed it was time to leave.

When they told Tangle and Whisper, the lemur was happy to lend them the map they had used back at the museum. Since it had been scribbled all over, it was more help for the (a/t) and hedgehog anyway. When (Y/N) hesitated to accept the offer, Tangle ensured she'd be able to get a replacement from the Resistance.

Whisper insisted on cooking them breakfast before the two made their way to Eggman's first base, but the hedgehog and (a/t), though grateful, turned down the offer. The wolf nodded in understanding and gave them a small smile, her blue eyes soft as she stared at them and wished them good luck.

The two left the house, (Y/N) looking back and with a smile, waving to the two girls and calling out a thank you. Tangle waved back enthusiastically, Whisper giving more of a shy wave, and Sonic chuckled. It was time to act, now that the (a/t)'s ribs were no longer causing her pain. They felt like they had built a solid plan over the many weeks, having decided to check out the closer bases first. From there, they would move on through the list, scoping them out. If they had no outside surveillance, they would move on. Once they find one that was clearly guarding something, they'd sneak in, locate the computer room, and find the info they needed to help them in their search for (Y/N)'s family. And, if the base has no useful information stored in its system, they'll repeat the plan until they finally find what they need.

Sonic held the map up to his face, eyes studying the markings as he figured out which way they were heading. He turned his head to the area, back to the map. Lowering the map, he pointed towards the edge of the city,

"There's a base that way."

(Y/N) gave a determined look, holding a fist to her chest. Though, her features turned to that of curiosity.

"How will we get there?"

Sonic gave her his trademark smirk, before scooping the (a/t) up in his arms; she gave a squeak in surprise,

"The old-fashioned way, duh."

With that, the hedgehog and (a/t) disappeared into the air, Sonic's feet a blur against the ground as he ran through the streets, past people cleaning their homes and businesses. Within seconds, the two went from being surrounded by glum, grey buildings to lush, green forestry.