Friend or Foe

I'm on water duty as soon as I get up.

"Can't you pour some in the buckets for me?" I ask Mom, wrinkling my nose up at her.

"Really, Naia? Didn't you listen to what we told you last night? That we need to do things like everyone else. That means climbing to get water and working in the gardens. Same like we always do. Every day."

"Are we going to get to play with water and stuff today?" asks Crinae, yawning while taking a seat in the kitchen.

"If you get everything finished," says Mom. "Naia, get going. It'll be lunch soon and you know how hot it gets when the sun is right on top of you."

"Don't teach them anything Aeternian until I'm back," I say. "I want to know everything."

"You'll know what I tell you. Your Dad shouldn't have promised that."

"Where is Dad?" asks Crinae.

"Away," says Mom.

"Yeah but where is he?"

"He's, he's, he's at the wheat," says Mom.

"Is he coming back soon?

"No, he'll be awhile, maybe all day," says Mom, folding a tablecloth. "Stop bugging me with all your questions."

"But he knows what we have to do in the garden."

"You and Elody can weed. That's easy. Naia, out the door with you."

Before I leave to fetch water, I go to my room and change into looser clothing for the jaunt up the mountain. I put those ugly yet sturdy brown boots on, tie my buckets to my back and my scarf around my neck. I head back to the kitchen, where Mom is scowling at me.

"You haven't left yet?" she snaps.

"Why can't you make water for us?" I ask again. "Why make me climb all the way up to get it? I hate the Waterstealers and if I'm an Aeternian, the Motos will be after me too."

Mom pushes me out of the door, yelling after me, "You're fine. Go."

I stomp a couple of steps down the path and would keep it up but it takes too much energy. At the Four-Way I gaze around for people to walk up the mountainside with me. There are a couple of adults and a thin girl with thin beige hair and a thin coat and a large bucket. I join them and we trek up the steep incline, stopping twice to let our hearts stop beating so quickly and drain the sweat that's pooled on our cheeks. Up top, it gets cooler. The wind howls at us to get off the peak but we ignore it.

The view from the top never changes: steeples upon steeples of jagged peaks stretching into the dry orange air. The only thing that's ever different is the people at the spring. Unfortunately, today the crew I walked up with is aggressive with their water collection. The larger you are, the better chance you have of standing your ground and getting water first. Thus, guaranteeing someone to go back down the hill with you. The thin girl and her big bucket have no chance and are pushed out of the way by a burly man with a big nose. I'm fighting to keep my spot. Whenever someone comes near me, I stand with my legs apart and stick out my elbows. No way anyone is going to mess with me. When I reach the water I wave the slight girl over to a spot beside me.

"Thanks," she says. So softly I'm not sure she said anything.

"What?" I say loudly. As if talking like that will make me understand her better.

"Thank you," she repeats, stronger this time.

"You're welcome," I say, not as loud this time.

We fill our containers as the some of the other settlers start walking home ahead of us. Some others are taking a long break before the hike. We will be alone on the trail.