i.

The man rested his head on the outline of the car window which was rolled down. The cool, fresh and oxygen-loaded air soothed his senses and he lowered his lashes to absorb his surroundings. This place felt like a getaway from urban, monotonous life; it reminded his of his hometown. But work would not stop haunting him here, it was the sole reason why he arrived to gimcheon-si: more work and collaborations.

But he expected a better environment than back in Seoul— no extremely packed streets, no rush hour and it felt that way here. Finally, some calm, he commented to himself and dozed off guarded by the sweet lullaby of nature.

He laughed at this statement not much later, while his assistant argued with Oh Deok Hwan: the middle-aged man who would be his tenant. If he hadn't promised Taehyung the room and then lent it to someone else who offered to pay higher rent. "Sir! How could you turn from a promised offer to us? Don't you have any ethics?", the lad continued on, and Taehyung pinched the bridge of his nose. He had just woken up from his nap when the car stopped here, so he was a little fazed and this problem was bringing on a wicked headache.

"Listen Oh Deok Hwan-ssi, it's not about the money. I could easily pay more than that. But you turning your back on your words just for a few extra wons made me lose my trust in you. Yeonjun, come. We're leaving."

Yeonjun followed him out the door, accompanied by Deok Hwan too, who muttered an insincere apology and sent them off.

Ten minutes into the drive, Taehyung finally asked with a sigh, "Any other option?" His assistant shook his head. Yeonjun wanted to offer his superior a stay at his house once again, but suppressed the thought since he had rejected it before itself: the lad stayed in a flat along with two other students— Soobin and Wooyoung. The place was enough cramped already.

As if a light bulb went off in his head, Yeonjun exclaimed. "Sir! There's one place. The mansion of Entrepreneur Kim Jisoo herself. They had offered it initially, but we were the ones who turned it down considering the fact that she lived with children. We felt it would be too invasive into their private life."

"I don't think they'd refuse now.", he concluded.

Taehyung rubbed his forehead with three of his fingers. "Okay, let's do that. It's not like there's another way." He checked the time: seven pm. Not too late to arrive. "Phone and inform them first, but." The younger quickly did the needful.

Taehyung couldn't fall asleep this time. They reached the mansion and his eyes widened at how eerily regal it appeared. Was he going to be rooming with royal blood?

He stepped on the dark mahogany stairs and were received by a middle-aged lady

He stepped on the dark mahogany stairs and were received by a middle-aged lady. Two other people were called and Taehyung's luggage was taken upstairs, he assumed that's where his living quarters would be.

Meanwhile Yeonjun enquired where Jisoo was, and they came to know that she was on a call, and would greet them shortly. This earned a glare from Taehyung; why did he have to ask that? It was not as if the woman was obliged to meet them. Moreover, he badly wanted to throw himself on the bed and drown with the pillows.

The two males were offered to seat themselves and they did. Only then did Taehyung notice the large playpen located beside the staircase. It was filed with every bright colour one's imagination could create. Additionally, there were two tiny angels seated on the short, pastel green chairs, silently doing their work on the baby blue table. Taehyung's smile grew wide. Kids—pure, innocent and so fluffy—always giddied him up. They were too precious to even exist, he felt.

But Taehyung wouldn't refuse that something about the light pink plastic fence around the play area tugged at him, not in a good way. It felt like distancing the children, pushing them into their own world. The colours felt like sugarcoating something darker, something grimmer.

The man shook his dismissively. Why would a mother do that, anyway? The whole idea was dumb.

He was distracted when Yeonjun's eyes trailed to the stairs and he stood up. Taehyung mirrored the action and his jaw lowered a few degrees at the sight.

She stood at the top-most dark mahogany stair, dressed in a crimson flowy dress with a single golden stripe running down the length. It seemed like curtains of wine draped her. There was minimal makeup on her features excluding the deep red lip tint. Her raven-black hair fell down in a middle-parting. Her face was a little sallow, making her facial qualities stand out. Jisoo alighted the steps so softly that it seemed that she merely floated downward. Her whole aura radiated decadence—too good, too perfect and velvety to be true.

Yet, his mind being the usual, couldn't help but make a joke that she appeared like a literal walking-talking red flag. Taehyung sighed at himself.

"Good evening, Kim Taehyung-ssi.", she spoke with a subtle, enthralling grin. He returned the greeting. Yeonjun made a small gesture and proceeded to leave. They sat on the sofa again and Jisoo said, "Since you will stay here, you can join us at mealtimes. The upper floor also has an extra office room, so you can work without any disturbance.", he nodded, grinning.

There was a minute of uncomfortable silence so Taehyung diverted the conversation. "Your children, how old are they?"

Her eyebrows shot up a little, as if suddenly recalling they were present and she said, "They're four. Twins." She turned further to them and called out. "Minwon, Minra! Come and say hello to uncle." The kids attentively looked at and then reached his sofa.

"Hello, uncle.", they said in unison, bowing. "You can call me uncle Taehyung, okay little prince and princess?"

"No!", the boy, Minwon pouted. "I'm not a prince. I'm a wizard!" "Yes, he's a boring, old wizard like Voldemort.", his sister said mockingly, sticking her tongue out. Taehyung expected Jisoo's chuckle at their antics, but it just wasn't there. It confused him a little to see her wearing the same exact smile in length as before. "And you're Ursula.", came the reply to Minra's remark and Taehyung chuckled out loud. Watching the man somehow made Jisoo feel a tad bit better, but she had to no one to show that to.

"Okay okay, if you both are done with homework, go to bed. Come one now.", the kids nodded and were walking away when her voice was heard again, "And keep your books open on the table, I will check them once."

Taehyung's brows creased again. Why didn't she personally put her kids to sleep? Why didn't she do the homework together with her children? Or was he the one stereotyping motherly behavior? He could make no heads or tails of this situation, but all he concluded was that something was not right.

"Completely adorable, they are.", he said, smiling. She closed her eyelids for a moment in agreement and her grin only grew an inch longer. And he knew that was the limit—she would not smile wider than that. Of course, he knew that. Everyone was aware that this lady was not exactly amiable. She liked to stay hooded and a little away from noise (basically human beings). But who doesn't break out into the happiest laugh when it comes to their kids? Why was Kim Jisoo an exception?

He wanted to know.

completed: 14/2/22

published: 17/3/22

1268 words

~sid.