Chapter Thirty-One

Declan

Nigel's panic melted away and the cocky grin Declan had so despised during his time at the institute returned in full force.

"I can feel how empty your stone is," Nigel said, his body relaxing and assuming the defensive stance they had taught him at the Institute. "Now you can't cheat, and you don't stand a chance against me."

Declan cracked his neck and grinned, feeding into the rage boiling him from the inside out. The heat on his skin had nothing to do with the flames behind him and everything to do with his need for vengeance. A need he planned on being met.

"I'm not one to brag," he told the boy–because that's what Nigel really was, no matter that he was only physically a couple of years younger than Declan. His life had never offered an opportunity for maturity. He built his ego on the whispered affirmations of those around him, telling him he was the best while protecting him from any hardship.

Declan flexed his fingers, enjoying the way the cestuses felt. Against any other opponent, he might be concerned that he was going into the fight without potions or his other tools, but against Nigel, it would just be overkill.

"But," he continued, stepping to the side to lure Nigel away from the innocents. "I could be human and still win this fight."

The bravado tasted sour in his mouth. Declan might know what he said was true, but he wasn't one to be obvious in his confidence. Arrogance was a weakness, which is exactly why he said it, because Nigel took the bait, his milk pale face turning mottled red with anger.

Behind them, someone cheered, and the sense of despair from the crowd faded slightly. A quick glance over his shoulder revealed the worst of the fires had been tamed with Sara Elizabeth's help. Nigel didn't hesitate to take advantage of the distraction, lunging forward and sinking his fist into Declan's face, snapping his head back and sending a spray of blood through the air as a tooth sliced into his lip.

Wiping his mouth, Declan raised his eyes slowly to meet Nigel's. Whatever Nigel found in his gaze was enough to bring back some of his earlier fear. Digging his feet into the ground, he drew the earth's strength up through his body. The breeze, tainted as it was by smoke and ash, lent him some of its qualities, giving him a lightness to his movements so when Nigel ducked his first swing, he followed quickly with an undercut to the boy's stomach, sending him sailing through the air.

Declan took his time walking toward the prone figure. It had been a long time since he'd truly connected with his sorcerer's gifts, relying on the power he received from Lux's stone, but this was what he had been born to do. To draw on the magic that existed in the surrounding world.

"What you're doing is forbidden," Nigel groaned, grabbing his stomach and rolling to his knees. "I think you broke my freaking ribs."

Declan dragged him upright by the collar of his shirt. "For someone who punched me in the face while I wasn't looking, you're awfully concerned about breaking the rules. Still humor me. Exactly what is forbidden about what I'm doing?"

Spittle flecked his lips as he spluttered. "Sorcerers aren't supposed to take magic directly from things. It kills them and destroys the balance. That's why we make potions and spell infused tools. I know your memory is pretty foggy, but that's sorcery 101, old man."

Bone cracked against bone as Declan head-butted Nigel, only his grip on his shirt keeping the boy from collapsing. The pain it caused his own head was worth it to see Nigel gasping and moaning while blood trickled down his forehead.

"And that, Nigel, is why you will always lose. A sorcerer does not take without asking or being offered. Nature recognizes the true nature of someone's soul, and so sorcerers like you will never have more power than what you can make in your potions and spells, because nature will not share willingly. But I bet you've done your fair share of taking what doesn't belong to you. From what I've heard, you've been making deals with the devil. Tell me, Nigel. What did Morgan offer you to betray your kind?"

He mumbled something unintelligible. Declan shook him and then tossed him down so his back slammed into a tree. The earth shook as he held back a scream. All he could see was that moment he looked into Lux's eyes and found her missing. It replayed repeatedly in his mind. All he could feel was the hopelessness when she vanished with Morgan. It made his bones heavy and his muscles ache.

And standing in his way of banishing that memory was one stupid, foolish child. For the first time, he wanted to end a life just to know he caused something else as much pain as he was feeling.

"Declan, stop," Kitty said, coming around him and crouching beside Nigel. Sara Elizabeth and Travis followed close behind, accompanied by a petite black witch Declan figured must be Nigel's partner.

"I'm just waiting for him to answer the question I asked."

"Not like this," Kitty insisted.

"Shocking," Sara Elizabeth muttered. "The girl has boundaries that stop and beating and torturing someone. We want to know what Nigel knows about Morgan's plans, and if that means waterboarding him, then you need to get out of our way. Some of us still care about Lux."

"Sara Elizabeth," Travis said with a note of disapproval. "Enough."

Kitty surprised Declan and ignored the water witch. Focusing on him, she said, "What I meant is that if we are going to resort to this, let me do it. My soul is already beyond repair, and I won't risk Lux coming back to a man who is broken."

The Third Circle witch cleared her throat, drawing attention to herself. Then she shocked all of them by glaring at Nigel. "Hi, I'm Moira and none of that will be necessary because I have a special knack with truth spells. We've suspected Nigel was hiding something since he arrived a few days ago, and my father just told me they have a witness that he's behind the fires."

Nigel gave them a bloody smile. "Try it and you'll never get answers because I'll die. You think the Fae Queen wouldn't cover all her bases?"

Moira arched an eyebrow. "Well, guess it sucks to be you."

"What?"

"We have no mercy for someone who helps the Fae Queen. Bluethorn might be a sanctuary for the supernatural, many of them creatures with questionable pasts, but we do not offer protection to those who are allied with the Fae Queen."

Declan rolled his shoulders and forced down the surge of impatience. They didn't have time for this. He squatted down and held Nigel's gaze. "Tell us what you know about her plans involving Lux or die. Those are your options."

Swallowing hard, Nigel scooted, so he was sitting straight, one arm thrown over his abdomen. He winced with every movement, but his voice was strong when he spoke.

"I don't know much. She tells each cell very little. Kitty knows this."

"But you'll know something I don't know, and that's the information we want," the girl told him without looking the least bit ashamed about his accusation.

"I don't know about future plans, but I can tell you how..." he drew a shaky breath and his skin became paler than before. "How she gained access to Lux."

"The Faerie stone?" Declan interjected. Kitty had theorized Nigel might know something about the connection in the car, but he'd been so out of it, he'd not dared to hope the sorcerer would have information that important. "What is it? Where is it?"

Nigel shivered. Kitty and Declan both stepped back as black lines spread across his skin. His eyes were unfocused as he searched for Declan, but he uttered one last thing before disintegrating before them.

"Around your neck."