His Parents

Pepa places a hand on her hip, staring at me expectantly.

"Well? What were you and my son doing?" She asks while narrowing her eyes. I stare at her blankly. Mirabel looks between me and Pepa before making up some excuse as to why she has to leave. As Mirabel practically runs away, I try to whisper plead for her to stay. She looks back at me for a second and then up at Pepas forming cloud. She gives me and apologetic look then mouths "I owe you one," before running off. Great.

I exhaled and turned my attention back to Pepa. Her intense stare made my knees wobbly and I felt a light drizzle rain down on us from above. I wasn't quite sure what to say, what if Camilo didn't want his mother to know about his nightmare? It wasn't my place to tell her what her son was going through.

"Well we were just- hanging out?" I say biting my lip. Wow, that was unconvincing.

"Hanging out?! I don't believe that for a second!" The cloud over her head grew and rained down on us and I was trying my best not to tremble. I began to raise my now soaking wet finger in hopes of giving a better explanation but I was interrupted by a stout man grabbing Pepa by the waist. It was Félix. He pulled her close to him and she instantly relaxed.

"Mi amor! He's 17 almost 18, he's allowed to have a girl in his room!" Félix says calmly, shooting me a wink. Pepa rolled her eyes with a little smile. Her cloud began to fade as she said-

"I guess you're right... he has to grow up some day."

I look at them, my jaw basically dropped. They definitely had the wrong idea, but they were okay with it? Just as I began to correct them, Camilo swung his door open. He rubbed his eyes wearily and yawned, but once he noticed his parents who had practically cornered me, he rose an eyebrow.

"Long night?" His father said while shooting finger guns at him. Pepa elbowed her husband for his remark. Camilo looked at them with a horrified expression on his face.

"Um... what?" He said while looking over at me with wide eyes.

"Yes yes I'm sorry... I won't embarrass you!" Félix said as he made his way over to Camilo. After his dad fist bumped him and whispered something along the lines of "Nice job," Félix pulled him in from the side and started to drag him over to where me and Pepa stood.

Camilo's face turned into a smile and he stifled a chuckle when he saw my absolutely puzzled expression. I shot him a death stare.

"Ahhhh... Just like your mother and I." Félix practically sings. Camilo's nose scrunches as he smiles, and he breaks away from his fathers grasp.

"I don't know what you guys think happened," Camilo says while walking over to my side, "but nothing like that happened last night, y/n was just helping me... through something." He drapes his arm loosely over my shoulder, not minding that my soaked clothes are surely getting him wet.

His parents instantly looked at him concerned.

"What happened?"

"Is everything okay?"

His parents began to question.

He chuckled sadly as he brought his free hand to the back of his head. "I don't really want to get into it, but I'm okay. I'm okay now." As he says those last words he looks down at me sweetly. I look up at him too, giving him a soft smile. When we both look back his parents are clinging to each other and looking at us teary eyed.

"I'm glad you have someone, Camilo. I don't know where I would be without your father to keep me sane." She smiles and looks at me gratefully. I return the smile.

"I am really glad too. Well uh- this seems like a good time to tell you guys that we're... dating." Camilo says while shaking his hands in the air as to say, "surprise!" His parents laughed and pulled us both into a tight hug. When they pulled away Pepa waved her finger at us.