thirty one

"I want to go back to work!" Mallie called to Amelia as she supervised outdoor playtime with the big kids.

"You have two more days, stop whining!" Amelia called back.

She'd just put the twins down for a nap and had come outside to do some work, but was now messing on her phone while she watched Mallie try and be interested in whatever game Ellis and Bailey had made up.

Zola was hanging upside down from the monkey bars with a smirk.

"Oh, Addison's calling. I'll be back," Amelia held up her phone, disappearing into the house.

Mallie's phone beeped and she pulled it out, rolling her eyes at the message from Vic

"Who is it?" Zola asked.

"It's Vic. We had a guy today come to the station with an arrow right through his head. Lucid and everything," Mallie mumbled, texting back a response. "Promise me none of you will ever try and shoot things off anyone's heads with pointy things?" Mallie looked at the kids.

"We promise," they chorused.

"Good," Mallie sighed.

"Amelia? Mi vida?" Mallie knocked on the bedroom door.

Amelia looked up from the twins, holding her phone on facetime where a little boy was singing a song.

"Henry wanted to sing them his new nursery rhyme Addison taught him. Everything okay?" Amelia said.

"Dean called. Wants me to meet him to talk about what happened," Mallie said.

"About him pressing charges against PD?" Amelia said.

"Maybe? He just said he needs to talk to me," Mallie said.

"You can go. The twins are awake, so I'll take them downstairs and get dinner started. Will you be back before it's time for us to go to Andrew's memorial?" Amelia asked.

"No, I don't know," Mallie said. "He sounded tense and this is the first he's talked to me since it happened," she mumbled.

"Go. I can handle this," Amelia kissed her quickly.

"You sure?" Mallie said.

"Yes, my love, go," Amelia said, kissing her again.

"Okay. I'll text you if I'll be meeting you and the kids at the hospital or if I'll be coming back, first," Mallie mumbled.

"Okay, baby," Amelia said.

"Hi, Henry. I love your song. I'll make sure I learn it so I can sing it to the twins for you," Mallie looked at the screen.

Henry grinned at her and Addison's face came onto the camera.

"Hi, Mallie," Addison said.

"Hola, Addison. I'd love to stay and chat, but I gotta go," Mallie said.

"No, go ahead. We'll talk another day, sort out a visit for when this is all over," Addison said.

"Can't wait," Mallie grinned.

She kissed Amelia and the twins before grabbing her jacket and hurrying out of the house.

"You guys finally decided to include me in the Black firefighters club? Thought it was No Girls Allowed," Vic smirked as she joined Dean, Ben, Robert and Mallie in the beanery of the station.

"You were always invited," Ben smirked.

"Come on, come on, come on," Dean waved her over.

"All right. Okay," Vic said, standing behind Mallie and wrapping her arms around her shoulders. "I miss you," Vic said.