thirty-three

[ edited ]

Heeseung's heart dropped as soon as the girl in front of him pulled him into a kiss. He didn't know what to do. Areum wrapped her arms around his neck, tiptoeing so that they were on the same level.

I don't care if you're drunk or sober.

He thought to himself before wrapping his arms around her waist, deepening the kiss. They both pulled away, gasping for air. She lowered her head and panted quietly, her hands placed on his shoulders.

He looked at her deeply with his doe eyes, waiting for her to say something. "Areum-ah," he called her softly.

"I shouldn't do that," she muttered as her cheeks started to feel warm. He tilted her chin with his fingers, flashing a gentle smile. She pulled away from his embrace, "Are you going to hurt me like fourteen years ago?"

He stepped closer to her and held both of her shoulders, "If I ever hurt you, don't hesitate to hit me, slap me or even punch me again. I will love you and treat you right. I promise, Areum."

He placed his hand on her cheek before caressing it. She closed her eyes as she felt his warm palm comforting her.

"Oh my God! Did Heeseung just kiss someone?!" Edlyn exclaimed excitedly, smacking her husband's arm. Jake winced in pain, eyes still fixed to the CCTV screen.

"Great. Now I'm the single one," Sunghoon frowned before drinking his coffee. Daera who was passing by with a file in her hands looked at the surgeons, confused at what they were watching.

She glanced at the screen and saw Heeseung hugging Areum. She immediately pushed Sunghoon to the side, "Isn't that Heeseung?!"

"Hey, be careful! You're pregnant," Sunghoon held both of her shoulders to make her stand properly. "I really thought he's going to die single," she said again. Jake sighed, "Be prepared, Sunghoon. You're going to be my daughter's next target."

"Yes. I'm scared of that," Sunghoon breathed out, burying his hands into the pocket of his coat. Daera thought for a while, looking at the surgeons who were crowding the CCTV screen.

"Wait a minute. When I rejected Sunghoon at the rooftop, were you guys watching us?"

Sunghoon looked at her before averting his attention to the others. Edlyn rubbed the back of her neck, "Oh my, I have to check on my son. He's currently staying at my father's with Jiah," she laughed nervously before dragging Jake away with her.

"Well, this is embarrassing," Sunghoon muttered, clasping his hands. Daera cleared her throat, "Can you give this file to Jay? I don't think I can walk anymore. It feels like my womb can burst at any moment."

"Sure. Get some rest, Daera."

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

Heeseung carefully helped Areum get on her bed. She frowned and held her head, "I think I'm too drunk."

He chuckled and sat next to the bed, watching her tuck herself under the blanket. She turned around to face him and smiled, "Are you going to watch me sleep?"

"Do you want me to leave?"

She shook her head and intertwined her hand with his. She pursed her lips before hesitantly asking, "Do you still think that I'm selfish and that I'm ahead of everyone else?"

He took a deep breath, "You were never selfish. I was just too arrogant and stupid."

She nodded and played with his fingers. The room fell silent for a while, creating a peaceful tension between them. He grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it.

"I've missed you too," he muttered as he rested his head on the bed, still looking at her.

She was about to smile until her thoughts bothered her. She gave him a death stare and sat up straight, "Are you sure?"

"What do you mean?"

"Were you waiting for me these fourteen years? Or did you love someone else?" She asked, folding her arms.

He chuckled nervously, "What are you talking about? I haven't dated anyone for a long time."

Really?

She narrowed her eyes at him.

I'm a detective, Heeseung. I remember everything. Six years ago, I visited your medical school and saw you giving mint chocolates to a student. I was just lucky you didn't see me there.

It turns out that the student is married to one of your best friends. Ugh, just remembering it makes my blood boil.

"Areum, what's wrong?" He asked, starting to feel worried. She smacked his hand away and turned around, her back facing him.

"Go away."

"Why all of a sudden?" He asked again. She exhaled heavily, "I want to sleep. You can leave now."

He was about to leave when he heard her mumble, "I bought you some mint chocolates," under her blanket. She mimicked the way he talked to Edlyn as she felt her anger boiling inside her. Probably not anger, but jealousy.

"Yah, are you okay?" He asked again. She groaned out of annoyance, "Don't you have work tomorrow?"

"I do but–"

"Maybe you can go to work with that crush of yours. I'll just wait for my leg to heal before I can shoot people again."

He furrowed his eyebrows, confused and dumbfounded. He decided to leave and closed the door. He leaned against it, "What is wrong with her? I thought we're okay already?"

Areum glared at the door before fidgeting on her bed, kicking the blanket away.

"I hate remembering everything. And that female surgeon even scolded me for punching him."

She turned around, "Ugh! She has a husband! Why does she care about Heeseung!"

I shouldn't be jealous. This is probably the reason why people didn't want to date me. The fact that the female surgeon is prettier is killing me.

"Edlyn, I brought you some mint chocolates!"

She mocked Heeseung in her head. She closed her eyes and decided to force herself to sleep.

Sorry guys 😭 I got the years wrong. It's supposed to be six years since Areum met Heeseung, not two. I hope you enjoy the upcoming chapters! Sorry for the minor mistakes.