TWENTY

"Work was busy mother." I sighed while getting off the elevator. I headed down the hallway towards our apartment. "Yes. Athena and I will be at Dad's business dinner tomorrow.

"Alright. Love you, Tobi."

"Love you too. Bye, mom." I hung up the phone.

I walked towards the door and furrowed my eyebrows. It was wide opened. I slowly walked in and took off my coat.

The living room table was shattered and everything was disheveled. What the hell happened? Athena was supposed to be home at the time.

"Athena!" I yelled while walking through the living room. I went upstairs and towards her room.

It was messy, her vanity mirror was smashed and the gold jewelry box that usually sat on her dresser was gone. I began to panic before hurrying to her bathroom.

"Athena!" I yelled. "Athena!"

I hurried into her closet. Searching every corner and in her purse room. No sign of her. I hurried downstairs into the kitchen.

"Athena! Athena?"

I saw her crouched down in a corner. She had tears streaming down her eyes with bruises around her neck.

"Athena. Love." I rushed towards her. "What happened."

"Why-" She wheezed. "Why does this keep happening?"

She broke down crying. Her body violently heaved up and down. I carefully held her.

"What happened, love." I softly said.

"My back, they slammed me into the counter and it hurts so bad." She whimpered. "It hurts so bad and I can't breathe because-"

She began to cry harder.

"It's okay, let me help you up so we can go to the doctor."

"No, it hurts too bad to move right now." She shook her head. "Can you just sit down with me?"

-

"I don't understand how this could've happened. Where the hell was security and how did they even get in the building!" I paced the room.

Athena got examined by the doctor. She was okay besides the swelling on her neck and back. The doctor prescribed her pain meds and sent her home.

She didn't want to be alone and I didn't want to let her out of my sight, so while she slept, I angrily cursed out anyone who I deemed responsible.

"Bullshit! You had one job and you didn't fucking do it. My fiancé shouldn't feel unsafe in her own home!"

"Tobias." She groaned.

"We're moving out of here asap." I shook my head.

"My head hurts."

"I'm sorry." I shook my head. "Do you remember what they look like? Police said they will send someone to investigate."

"I don't want to talk about it. I know it's helpful but I'm scared right now." She shook her head.

"Can I comfort you?"

She nodded before patting a space in her bed. I kicked my shoes off and sat next to her. "Tell me about you."

"I have."

"Yeah, you told me what you like and dislike."

"What do you want to know?"

"You have siblings. I never hear about them."

"I have an older sister and a younger brother. We don't talk much but we use to be incredibly close."
I smiled reminiscing on the times we had.

"What happened?"

"We just got busy. Piper lives in London and Brooks lives in California. We text every blue moon, but most of us are busy."

"And you stayed in New York." She nodded.

"I've thought about moving but I don't want my family legacy to die. They wanted no parts."

"But at least you're creating more, right? With your winery."

"Yeah, but I'm still tangled up in my fathers' mess. Anytime he can't complete a task for the company, I have to. I just want to break free but I feel too guilty."

"Never feel guilt for what you want to do. My dad wanted me to go to college and become an engineer like him, but I knew I wanted more."

"It's hard to turn down a billion-dollar company."

"I did it with ease." She softly chucked.

"I'm not strong like you. Hate to sound vulnerable, but I'm not."

"What do you mean?"

"I've let my parent manipulate me my entire life. Tobi, take over the company. Tobi, make you're father proud. Tobi, don't be a failure. I don't know how to say no."

"I don't know how either. Especially when it comes to my father. But Tobias, you're stronger than you think. Wanna know something?"

"Sure."

"When I found out we were being arranged, I stalked you. You kind of terrified me. People said you were cold and rude and ran your company like robots."

"There's truth in that. I've treated you horribly."

"Yes, but I've seen a sincere side of you. That side is strong. So what, you may have trouble saying no and standing up to your parents, but there's always a start line."

"Next question before we get sappy." I shook my head.

She chuckled. I smiled while looking away. Athena was a warrior, like her name. She was in a tremendous amount of pain yet she still found a reason to laugh.

"Tobias. I know that you care about me. You show it a lot." She started. "I know it's irrelevant to this conversation, but I just wanted to mention it."

"I'm sorry about what I said the o-"

"We don't have to talk about it. Seriously. All is good." She nodded.

I couldn't help but stare at the bruising on her neck. I know she wanted us to a moment and breathe, but I grew angry every time I saw it.

She noticed I was staring and covered it with your hand.

"I hate it as much as you do."

"How about this." I came close. I took her hair out of the curly bun and framed it around her neck. It didn't cover all of it, but it hid a lot.

"Thank you."

"Doing okay?"

She nodded. "Yeah."

~

"I brought takeout." Kaleb smiled. "I know you said take the day, but I want to make sure y'all are okay."

"Thank you Kaleb. She's sleeping right now so I was able to sneak out."

"Well I got her favorite fried rice from the Chinese restaurant on fifth avenue."

"Thank you."

"No pro-"

We heard an ear piercing scream. I quickly bolted up the stairs into Athena's room. She sat on the floor balling.

"I told you not to leave me alone Tobias." She shook her head. "Why did you leave me alone?"

She shook her head while trying to catch her breath.

"I'm here, love. Okay?" I softly said. "I'm sorry, I just had to get the food from Kaleb."

"I'm sorry." She shook her head. "I had a bad dream and freaked out."

"Don't be sorry. It's okay. I'm right, here I promise. Let's get back in bed, okay love?"

She nodded.