7 - Cruel World [FINAL]

World Standard Calendar Year 1065

The peaceful era that had lasted for almost a thousand years was now over as the countries separated by the sea were once again engulfed in the flames of war. 

The conflict was ignited by the Sol Messa Empire, a large nation located in the north. The Emperor of the Sol Messa Empire, Saulo the 28th, declared his intention to conquer the archipelagic countries in the south and promptly invaded the neighboring Ransen Kingdom to the southwest, starting a war through naval warfare. 

Initially, only the three major nations were involved in the conflict: the twin allied empires in the north and the Heather Kingdom. However, the war soon spread to the small nations surrounding them, eventually engulfing the entire continent and its group of archipelagic states in chaos.

World Standard Calendar Year 1100.

As the war enveloped all the nations on the continent, including monster-infested areas, the stalemate between the Empire and the Kingdom reached a turning point. The Empire seized the impregnable island Ransen Kingdom, the largest ally of Heather in the central war theater. 

Using the invaded island country as a bridgehead, the Empire began coercing and annexing minor nations around it, such as the Kentara Republic and many others in the western parts, at an alarming speed.

The Saint Elias Empire, a country situated beyond the sea and fog area in the southeastern direction, had always insisted on its neutrality. However, with the changing situation, it began secretly colluding with the two empires through a shortcut route beyond the Coral Ocean. Using the excuse of poor harvests in the southeast region of the continent, the Saint Elias Empire drastically decreased its food exports to the Kingdom. 

This sparked a large-scale famine throughout the Heather Kingdom and resulted in riots.

As 70% of the Kingdom's food, mostly fruits, vegetables and grains that could lasts for half a year, was imported from the Southern Continent, this made things worse for the kingdom, which couldn't produce enough food to sustain itself. 

At the same time, the Kingdom increased the food collected from its citizens to feed the navy soldiers on the frontlines and for maintenance, which further incited unrest. In an attempt to suppress the riots, the Kingdom deployed troops, but this only intensified the unrest, leading to a vicious cycle. Facing both internal civil unrest and external military threats, the Kingdom's power quickly crumbled.

World Standard Calendar Year 1119.

Reports of the Kingdom army's struggles continued to pour in to the capital. The Kingdom was unable to launch an effective counteroffensive and could barely hold the frontlines. The Empire's encirclement of the Kingdom was slowly tightening, and the reigning King of the Heather Kingdom was forced to make a painful decision as some of his lands on the edge were seized.

He dispatched the capital's last line of defense, the Kingdom's all-ground military, the First Army, to protect all corners of the Kingdom and retake stolen villages and towns.

Unfortunately, foreign enemies had already managed to infiltrate the country and seize some castles. The farthest villages and towns from the capital had fallen into the hands of the Empire, and imperial soldiers guarded the occupied near-shore roads at all times. With their sights set on eventually attacking the royal capital, they had to be wary of any movement by the kingdom.

At this moment, Captain Samuelson, who was in charge of a key security checkpoint at Freia Road, noticed a girl heading towards the main road.

The girl was around 15 or 16 years old, with delicate features and white skin.