Chapter Seventeen

"So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you."

- Paulo Coelho

Oli's POV

Three Months Later

"This place looks like a dump," Georgia scoffs as we walk towards the little restaurant. Her heels make an obnoxious clicking noise along the pavement, but I don't say anything about it. She likes to wear heels and they make her feel beautiful, so I can't really complain. And she does look gorgeous, as she always does. It's almost unnerving how she never has a hair out of place or a blemish on her skin. Not even a freckle in sight.

I frown at her words, looking at the little Mexican restaurant. It actually looks very welcoming. It's small and the smells coming from the shop already are amazing. The little places like this always have the best food. "Luna goes here all the time, the food will be great. Trust me." I reassure her, holding a hand to the small of her back as I open the door and she walks inside.

The restaurant is filled with booths, many of them taken. The smell of Mexican food is even stronger now and my stomach grumbles. The chicken sandwich I had for lunch really didn't tide me over well.

My eyes flit around the restaurant for a moment until they finally stop on who I'm looking for. Her eyes are already on me, a little smile lifting her lips. Without thinking, I start walking over to her, a grin forming on my lips. I'm stopped by a small hand on my arm and I frown slightly, turning back to my girlfriend. She huffs, following after me quickly and curling her hand around my bicep.

Once she's instep with me, I continue walking towards the back of the restaurant. My eyes stay set on my best friend and I want nothing more than to run over to her. But Georgia's hand on my arm prevents that and for the first time in the few months we've been dating, I resent her. I haven't seen my best friend in over a year and she won't let me go straight over and hug her.

When we get closer, Luna stands up from her seat and steps out of the booth. I quickly turn, murmuring a small 'sorry' to Georgia before gently lifting her hand off my arm and turning back to my best friend. I hurry across the short distance between us and bend down, wrapping my arms around her.

She goes up on her tiptoes, arms curling over my shoulders as I hold her to me. My eyes fall closed once she's finally in my arms, my heart rate slowing and my mind finally calming for the first time in what feels like forever. She smells the same as I remember - a sweet, fruity smell that I'm not sure whether it comes from her shampoo or her perfume. Whatever it is, it seems to have stuck around for years. I've grown addicted to it over time, the smell reminding me of my safe place.

After holding her for maybe a little too long but not long enough all at once, I pull away from her slightly, lifting my hands to cup her cheeks. I scan her face quickly, noting how grown up she looks. She's wearing more makeup than I've seen her wear before, her freckles almost covered up. But the prominent little dots over her nose are still there and the sight makes me smile. At least one thing hasn't changed after all these years.

My eyes dart down to her neck. One more thing that I hope will always stay the same. The dainty gold necklace with mine and her initials on the pendents that I got her for her fourteenth birthday. The first birthday I missed, no matter how hard I tried not to. That necklace still sits around her neck and my eyes linger on my initial pressed against her skin.