Chapter One

(Ellie)

I can’t take it any longer. I can’t stand being here with my mother for another second. I’ve never had a good relationship with her, so I don’t know why I thought it was a good idea to move in with her to save money.

I planned to stay six months, that’s it, but nope, I’ve been here for over a year now whilst she drinks my paychecks away. She wasn’t always like this. A bitch of a drunk. No, she was a workaholic until she lost her job.

So now she’s turned into an alcoholic. Sounds about right. Doesn’t it? Everything is always my fault, my fault that my ‘dad’ ran off with another woman. My fault that she had to work so much to feed my fat arse. And now it’s my fault she’s lost her job.

I honestly hoped that if I came here, we could try to mend our broken relationship, but all I know is it will never get fixed.

I know what I have to do. My best friend Grace has been nagging me to move back to England. We only moved because my father left my mother. No, I can’t keep thinking about that. It’s messed my head up enough.

I have half the money saved up for a plane ticket, and Grace has offered to lead me the other half and a place to live until I can get myself onto my own two feet.

I take one last look at my mother passed out on the sofa. It’s then I know I’m doing the right thing; maybe if I leave, she will get herself sorted. Maybe it is me causing all of this stress for her.

I dial Grace’s number, hoping to god that she’s going to pick up. I’m about to hang up until she answers breathlessly.

“Bitch tits, you do realise I was neatly at the peak of my orgasm.” What?! Eww nope. I do not need to hear that.

“Then why the hell did you answer? You could have ignored the phone call.” The thing about Grace is she hates leaving the phone to go to voicemail. Unlike me, who never picks their phone up to anyone.

“You know I hate doing that. Anyway, whatever you’re ringing me for better, be good.” I smile, knowing she’s going to be screaming in a moment for a totally different reason.

“I want to take you up on that offer if it still stands?” I ask nervously. I hate asking for money or help.

“Oh, my god. Are you for real? I’m so excited. This is the best day ever! I’ll send you the money for the plane ticket now so you can hurry up and get your sexy little arse here. You can pay me back by letting me take you out on the town drinking.”

The thing about Grace is she’s loaded. Well, I should say her dad is. He works a hell of a lot, travelling up and down the country; she hardly sees him other than at Christmas and birthdays still a lot more than I see my dad.

I’ve never met Grace’s dad or even seen a photo of him. I know she doesn’t look anything like him, as she’s the spitting image of her mother. Grace has auburn, long, wavy hair, bright green eyes and dimples that make her look more beautiful than she already is.

The only thing she didn’t get from her mum was the pale skin she must take after her dad with that, as she always looks like she’s had a spray tan.

God, I do miss her. “I can’t let you pay for it all. I have some money saved up, not a lot, but still something.” I hate being a Charity case.

“Don’t worry about it, honestly. The money has been sitting in my account for months. So book the first flight out. I also have someone I want you to meet when you get here. Can you remember Brad? Well, we’ve taken it to the next level, and you know I don’t do boyfriends, but with him, it was different. He’s amazing, Ellie. I’ll even get him to set you up with one of his friends.”