Chapter 7 - I am

Kara

"Where are you?"

Tala's cute-girl voice cracked in my earphones, and her face froze on my phone screen exactly in that moment when she said, you.

I laughed. "You're frozen on my screen and now you look like a fish ready to suck a hotdog, Tal."

"I looove hotdogs."

"Of course, you do. The jumbo kind, right?"

"There are very few things better than a jumbo. Your video cut off too."

I sighed. The saleswoman sent me a curious look. I smiled at her, telepathically communicating that I appreciated her help but didn't need her assistance right now. She got my signal and click-clacked her heels past me to greet another customer.

"Wifi's sketchy," I said, standing my phone on a shelf so I could browse at the selection of bed sheets on display. "I'm at the strip mall."

"Strip mall again? I thought you had the consultation with Cess about her gift shop already. You finished the design, didn't you?"

"Last night."

"How many hours did you put on it yesterday?"

I was back to being a part-time student, concentrating mostly on my family's auto shop since we've expanded and taking in projects where I could stretch my designing skills.

It was mostly referral—a friend of a friend decorating their newly renovated living room, a client I met when I worked for Rick asking help to design their storefront display, a friend from church wanting a custom-designed closet space. I was also selling downloadable bedroom interior designs online. There had only been a handful of people who bought my designs so far, and the money wasn't a lot, but it didn't matter. I was having a blast.

"I must've put seven hours on it yesterday," I said. My cousin Cecille was opening a gift shop at the strip mall. There were five stores—a linen store, a gym, a yoga studio, Cecille's gift shop and a bubble tea place at the end.

I thought this place was lucky. The other day, I met a gorgeous, tattooed guy coming out of the gym, right before a hot and sweaty yoga session with Veronica where someone had farted and I nearly collapsed and died. I felt like a new person after though.

"And I don't have a consult with Cess. I just wanted to look at her space again. Also double check the measurements she sent me. Just in case." I yawned. "Should've done that before I finished the design. Oh well, you live and you learn."

"What time did you sleep?"

"When my tiny tits started to sing me a lullaby. Stop nagging, mom. I'm fine."

"How about food, child? Did you eat?"

"I feel full just hearing you talk."

"Kara," she chided.

Satisfied with the soft texture and simple design, I pulled out a rolled-up bed sheet covered in plastic from the shelf, grabbed the matching pillowcases, and placed them in a shopping basket. Snatching my phone, I turned and continued to browse around the shop.

"I'm picking up my dad after this. He's got a doctor's appointment in an hour, and I want to come with him, see what the doctor say. Then maybe stop by the nursing home, say hi to my girls. One of them will feed me. Stop worrying."

"You should get something right away. I can't believe you nearly fainted the other day because you forgot to eat!"

"Shouldn't have told you that. Was just a busy day, that's all. You want my blood test results too?"