Chapter 53

New chapter is up as promised! I apologize if there are any typos. I had to type the second half on my phone so those stupid autocorrects must've butted in every now and then. I'd be grateful if you point them out when you find one. Happy reading!

It turned out, third time isn't always a charm, after all. Adrian didn't call me back. I didn't know if he even got my voicemail. Nevertheless, I didn't stop hoping, didn't stop waiting. I waited for his call the whole night, for the call that never came even after the dark night faded away with first rays of sun.

Adrian's silence hurt me more than the incident last night. I felt pathetic depending on a man to comfort me. It wasn't like I needed him to save me last night. I managed to do that on my own. All I needed was someone to talk to, someone to hold me together when I was breaking down. His lack of response only meant that he wasn't going to be that anchor to my sinking ship. The message was loud and clear. So why couldn't I get it inside my thick heart?

It was nearing 8 am in the morning. I wanted to return back home, away from the evil memories. I thought of asking Leah to book our flights but didn't want to wake her up just yet. She hadn't slept for most of the night, since it was clear that she had been awake even before the incident. I remembered her puffy eyes and decided to ask her about it later. For now, I'd let her get some rest.

Speaking of resting, it reminded me that Ed hadn't slept either. I could hear him pacing outside my room all night despite the firm lock I had on my door. I slowly got up from the bed and opened my door after many attempts to control my shaking hands.

Ed was standing a few steps down my door, just like I had imagined. There were two more men with the similar uniform standing at the ends of the hallway. He was currently talking to someone on his phone in hushed whispers. On seeing me, he said something to the person he was speaking with and cut the call before coming towards me. "Is there anything you need, miss? I can bring them for you."

I shook my head. "No, it's alright. You need to go and get some rest, Ed. We'll be leaving in a couple of hours."

"Don't worry about me, miss. Not sleeping for a night won't kill me. This is my job."

I nodded quietly when I realized he wasn't about to budge. I went back to my room and took a shower to attain a semblance of calmness. I thought of everything and anything to keep the memories from last night from resurfacing. I let out a bitter laugh as the water streamed down me. How ironic wa it I was praying for my memories to leave me alone now when I had been praying for the exact opposite all my life.

I hurriedly got dressed without looking at the mirror, not wanting to face the bruises on my body. I wore a full-sleeved turtleneck sweater and concealed some visible marks with make-up, wincing in pain at the slight movement of my hand. I briefly remembered the time I'd punched Allie's cheating ex-boyfriend Mike. It had hurt so bad then so it was bound to hurt twice as bad considering I went for two punches with my same hand. It didn't help that it was my dominant right hand. I sighed. I had to do something about the angry marks on my hand as well.

I looked at the time and saw that it was nine. I sent a text to Leah, asking if she was up. She immediately replied and I sighed in relief, glad that I didn't disturb her sleep. I got up and walked to her room, briefly noting that Ed was nowhere to be seen- there were only the two men from earlier and a new one guarding the area. Perhaps he took my advice to get some rest. The others nodded at me as I passed and I smiled slightly.

I knocked on Leah's door and she immediately let me in. I saw that she had already gotten dressed for the day and for the second time, noticed that her eyes were red, as if she'd been crying- again.