|17|

I don't understand what has happened until I hit the floor. There was groaning and hitched breathing on the floor next to me. I cautiously look up and see Agent Ross with blood flowing from a hole in his back. I sit there wide-eyed with my mouth open. He's breathing and shaking heavily. 

Another round of gunshots bring me back to reality and I rush over to him. I put pressure on the wound to stop the bleeding and he yells in pain. It's in there pretty good, right on his spine. 

"I know, I know. I'm sorry." I say worringly to him. I know how much pain he's in. I've been shot mulitple times and I got the scares to prove it. I look up and see T'Challa, Okoye, and Nakia hovering over his body. 

"He shoved me out of the way." I explain to them, "It's on his spine and in there real good. I don't think he's going to make it." Tears start to come up in the corners of my eyes but I refuse to let any fall. T'Challa kneels down next to me and looks at the wound that my hands are still covering, trying to stop the bleeding. He turns to Nakia.

"Give me a Kimoyo bead." He puts his hand out and Nakia gives him a bead from her bracelet. He slowly wedges the bead into Everett's bullet wound and it lights up slightly blue. "This will stabilize him for now."

T'Challa looks up at me as I stare worringly at Ross. "Give him to us." T'Challa tells the other agents in the room, "We can save him." 

---⭑---⭑---⭑--- 

We're back in T'Challa's royal jet. I sit on the floor in the front of the aircraft, hugging my knees to my chest, by the giant window, looking over the beautiful landscape, but my mind is focused on Everett Ross.

Why would he jump in front of me? Me?! The person he's been searching for for months. He wants to arrest me... but he saved me.

I'm broken out of my thoughts when I hear Nakia and Okoye arguing. I listen into their conversation but I never take my eyes away from the window.

"Our mission was to bring back Klaue, we failed." I hear Okoye say, "This man is a forgein intelligence operative. How do we justify bringing him into our borders?"

"He took a bullet from Scarlett." Nakia argues.

"That was his choice." Okoye hisses. Hearing her say this makes by back stiffen and my jaw clench. The two obviously notice my change in posture and they quiet down to where I can't make out what they are saying anymore.

I look over at them. They're standing with T'Challa around Ross' unconcious body that's laying across a table. I don't know why but I feel guilty. It was his choice to push me out of the way but I could've handled it better, I've taken bullets before. I could've pushed him out of the way first or I could've moved and no one would've gotten hurt. 

I look away and get a sudden burst of pain in my stomach. My ribs are definitely broken but it definitely doesn't hurt as much as a bullet in your skin. I accidentally let out a small groan at the sharp pain and T'Challa notices. He comes over and sits beside me.

"How are you doing?" He asks. I want to say that I'm in pain but I feel guilty when I know there's someone ten feet away from me who feels a whole lot worse. I suck in a breath and say...

"I'm fine." He obviously doesn't believe me which I understand, I'm a good liar but I'm not great at hiding pain. 

"I'll be back." He says and he gets up. I watch him leave and enter another room. A couple minutes pass and he comes back with medicine and bandages in his arms. 

"No, I'm fine. Give it to Ross, he needs it more than I do." But he just ignores me and sets the supplies in front of me. He pours a clear blue liquid into a tiny cup and hands it to me.

"Drink it slowly, it's a pain killer." He instructs. I reluctantly comply and press the cup to my lips and I slowly swallow to medicine. When I'm finished, I hand the cup back to him and he pulls out some rubbing alcohol and bandages. 

"Seriously? I'm not the one with a bullet wound." I say but he still ignores me and starts to clean some cuts on my arms, cheek, and collar. Once he's finished, he wraps the deep cuts with a bandage and then sits down next to me and I pull my knees back up to my chest. I feel the pain killer working as the aching in my ribs settles down and I sigh in relief. 

"What are you thinking about?" He softly says to me. I look at him. His faced his filled with concern and I can hear it in his voice. He obviously cares about me as if I were his sister, and I do the same as if he were my brother. Ever since my dad went under, this has been my family and it has been easy to talk to them about things but now... I don't know how to explain what I'm thinking about.

"I don't know." I reply with a shrug, "I guess I'm just confused."

"About what?"

"Why me?" I answer and he looks at me confused. "Like, why did Ross choose to save me? Ya know? He's supposed to arrest me, not save me, so why did  he save me?" He took a long breath as if he knew what he wanted to say but was preparing himself to actually speak.

"When my father died, I didn't reach him in time. I couldn't save him." His voice was soft and sincere and you could tell it hurt him to talk about his father's death, but he continued. "I blamed myself for his death." He took another breath, "But... if I did reach him, if I pushed him out of the way, I would've died and none of this would have happened. Maybe, this is the universe's way of saying, it is not your time to die." 

I think for a second. If Ross didn't push me out of the way, it could've killed me, not likely, but still a possibility. That happened for a reason. 

"Thank you." I whisper to T'Challa with a sincere smile. He nods to me and reciprocates the smile. We sit there together for a while, staring out the window, admiring the landscape.

"My king." I hear Okoye say. Both of us turn our heads towards her, "We're almost home."

New chapter! Finally! I know I've been really inconsistent with posting and it most likely won't go back to it's normal releasing schedule, sorry guys. I've just been super busy lately plus this is hard to write because it's not really planned out. I have major events planned but everything in between is thought of as I write, so sorry if it's sloppy or rushed. 

I hope you guys are enjoying it so far. ALSO, over 17k reads and 250 votes!!! You guys are amazing, I love all of you so so so much. Y'all are so encouraging and uplifting and all the comments are super positive or funny. Thank you all so much for the support.

Ok, I'm done. Please leave a vote, it means so much to me. Love y'all. Peace out girl scout!