Fifty-seven

Ares

I looked down as our people slowly filed in dressed head to toe in their best pieces

I looked down as our people slowly filed in dressed head to toe in their best pieces. I sighed before looking up at the sky. There was something in the air that I couldn't quite place but my body was buzzing. It could just be nerves but with everything going on, I knew it meant something more.

"Ares?" I heard the soft voice of my mother calling. I turned walking back into the bedroom to see her hesitantly standing. "Yes?" I questioned. She looked up at me with a softness in her eyes I only saw when she looked at my brothers. "I've tried to call you—," "I've been busy." I interrupted as I slipped on my shirt. "I know but I have something I want to say." She said. "Now. Can this wait?" I asked. "No, it can't." She bit out.

I turned and looked at her as I buttoned my shirt. "I'm sorry." She said. I tensed as I looked at her. "What are you—," "I'm so sorry. I wish I could go back and change everything. I wish I would've been better to you." She said. "Why are you telling me this?" I questioned. "You may not believe it, but I want a relationship with you. I want to know my son and I know I don't deserve it, but you have to understand—," She paused.

"Understand what? That you didn't want me for most of my life." I asked. "I'm not saying the way I behaved wasn't awful. It was and I will spend the rest of my life trying to make amends for it. But please understand that I thought I lost my child. I grieved that loss for so long." She paused.

"You and your brother were my first, so when I found out I was pregnant with twins I was overjoyed." She said with a smile as if remembering that exact feeling. "But with that much joy came unbelievable pain at that loss. It almost broke me, I felt like a piece of me had been stolen." She said as tears filled her eyes. "I thought you hated me," I said. "You were never as affectionate with me as you were with Malik or even Dominic. None of you were." I explained.

She shook her head. "I know that. I was led to believe that because Malik had two demons one of which so much more powerful—I assumed you were the cause of my baby's death." She said looking down. Part of me could understand a mother being as emotional as she was, but another part of me didn't want to understand. I was a child—not an ordinary child—but a child nonetheless. I didn't deserve to be treated the way I was. A feeling I couldn't describe consumed my body. I turned from my mother feeling a subtle pain radiate across my chest.

"I'm sorry to bring this up now but you haven't been answering my calls. You don't have to believe me, but I wanted you to know I want to work on our relationship in whatever capacity you will allow. You are my son and I truly want to be a part of your life, but I'll accept whatever decision you make." She said. "Are you almost re—," I heard Malik's voice before he cut off.

I wiped my hand through my hair before turning to them both. "Everything okay?" He asked looking from me to our mother. I looked at my mother before speaking. "Thank you for your words. I'll think about it," I said with a nod of my head. She gave me a small smile that caused her eyes to light up. She grabbed my hand squeezing it. "I should go finish getting ready, but we can talk more later, yeah?" She asked. I nodded my head.