CHAPTER 24. Kayla's 'explanation'

Once my hand had been treated by a cop who also was knowledgeable in the medical field, there was a brief investigation before all the guests for kicked out of the house.

No one was able to find anything, not a single clue or finger print anywhere, well, other than the ones that belonged to the people who lived here.

I of course, I had come to my own set of conclusions, and as everyone sat together in the living room, I was very quick to share.

I pointed at Kayla, eyes almost seeming to glow with anger and suspicion. "You sent me upstairs," I accused and clenched my uninjured hand into a fist. "You said Cross was up there, but he wasn't,"

Cross narrowed his eyes at Kayla. "I was outside, taking out the trash,"

River sighed, and I was beginning to hate that sound. "Raven, why would Kayla work with someone to kidnap you?"

I looked at my wrapped hand before glaring at Kayla. "I'm still trying to figure that part out, but," I looked at River. "I don't want her here anymore,"

Kayla stood and placed a hand on her heart. "Raven, I would never hurt you!" I clicked my tongue.

"Yeah, cause you want me alive,"

Kayla flushed and opened and closed her mouth, seeming stunned by my accusations. Which was silly, because I was never wrong.

"Enough Raven, you need to think this through," River told me and glanced at Dune, who nodded in agreement to his words.

I stood, furious. "Home is somewhere I'm supposed to feel safe, and ever since she arrived it's been one thing after another. Why is she even here?! She has a life elsewhere!" I exploded.

Kayla burst into tears, and my lip curled in disgust when Fin comforted her. "Raven!" River scolded and placed a hand on his forehead. "That was a very traumatic experience, I know you have mixed feelings about Kayla, but please, just stay calm so I can think."

My chest heaved and I looked at Lion, who quietly regarded everyone in the room. My eyes drifted to Cross and Fallon, who were sitting on the same couch.

Fallon was incredibly pale, but had yet to say anything. Cross, he was glaring at the wall, not moving. I began to shake with anger and River's eyes snapped to mine when tapestries began shaking.

"I want to know what's going on! You can't keep me in the dark, I know something is happening, you and Nicholas made that clear yesterday in your office." I snapped and tried to stop my hands from shaking in anger.

Cross leaned his head back, looking at the ceiling. "She has a point," he commented, but paused when River's eyes flashed red. He raised his hands and glared at the wall again, dropping the subject.

"So you're not going to tell me, and you're not going to listen to me?!" I asked, biting my tongue until I tasted blood.

"Stop that!" Dune told me sharply, smelling the sudden fresh blood. I ignored him and focussed on River, who looked me, thinking hard.

"No, I'm not," River said finally, and I nearly exploded with rage.

"Ugh, fuck you!" I yelled and turned, storming up the stairs, kidnappers could kiss my motherfucking ass for all I cared. I stormed into my room and slammed the door so hard, the plaster above my door cracked.

I was so angry, I didn't even know what to do with myself. It has to have something to do with Kayla, she wanted this stupid party, and sent me up the stairs! I rubbed my face and grit my teeth. Even the readers have been suspicious of her for chapters, why are vampires so fucking dense?!

My back went stiff as the door opened, and I spun around, Kayla tentatively walking in and closing the door behind her.

"Get out," I told her sharply, noticing her eyes glow slightly, telling me she was using magic.

"Relax," she raised her hands and gave me a pained smile. "I just made it so no one can listen in on our conversation."

"Why? So you can threaten me?" I asked and sat on my bed, still pissed beyond words.

Kayla shook her head and swallowed. "So I can explain myself, so you'll understand me," she looked at her hands and closed her eyes. "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but I'm going to anyway, I'm about to tell you things, River doesn't want you to know."

I raised an eyebrow. "Okay, let's hear it, but don't expect me to believe you,"

Kayla took a deep breath. "First, I came back, and invited you to come with me, because..." She met my eyes. "Your entire family isn't dead,"

I froze. "W-what?" I stood and gulped. "H-how do you know that?" I demanded, eyes wide.

Kayla licked her lips. "It was by chance, the meeting, and I happened to mention you once, since I helped raise you for a good while, and then it went from there."

I frowned, touching my hand lightly. "Why doesn't River, why not," I shook my head, feeling a headache forming. "This doesn't make any sense,"

Kayla moved on however, and left the subject as it was. "I sent you up here yes, but who was the first up the stairs?"

I frowned. "Cross, he was there first,"

Kayla raised a finger. "If he was outside, how was he there first? And how did he smell your blood so fast?"

My lips opened and closed, and I grew angry all over again, not liking what she was suggesting. "How could you -"

Kayla raised her hands. "I'll leave you to think it over, I'm not the bad guy, I seriously just want to help you. Sleep well," she quickly left my room, and I stared at the door.

How the hell am I supposed to sleep after that!? I spent a good while pacing, unable to figure out what could have possibly happened.

I needed to know what was happening behind the scenes, it was clear in my mind, that someone wanted something from me.

What did a mere human girl have to offer-? The world spun and I touched my head. Unless, I'm not... human? Is that possible!?

That could be the reason River was hell bent on not telling me, but... if I wasn't human, what was I? I certainly wasn't a werewolf, vampire, or even witch.

I wasn't dumb, I knew something was wrong, things were being affected by my strong emotions.

I knelt down and stared at the ground. That's why River didn't want them kissing me, and this all started after I turned eighteen...

Am I some kind of shifter? No, then why haven't I shifted yet... I groaned and rubbed my hair. "None of this makes any fucking sense," I exclaimed and looked at my hands.

I raised them towards the ceiling. "With all the power invested in me, do something!" Of course, nothing happened though.

I finally rose to my feet and opened the door, walking down the hall. It was quite late now, and as I slowly opened River's door, he stirred. I climbed up the edge of the bed and crawled towards him.

"River," I shook his shoulders, and his eyes snapped open, meeting mine. I kneeled on the bed, beside him, tilting my head to the side.

He looked at me, with no sign that he had been asleep, he seemed wide awake. And perhaps, he hadn't been asleep at all.

"What's wrong, Raven? Are you scared?" River asked as I curled beside him, back against his warm bare chest.

I kicked off my pants, getting comfortable against him. "You're a bastard," I informed him, and River made no comment.

"Anything else you want to tell me?"

I rolled over so I was facing him, touching his bare chest. River tensed at my touch, and I met his eyes.

"Yes, but I don't think you would appreciate it very much," I told him simply.

River grabbed my wrist, but didn't move my hand. I licked my bottom lip, and River's eyes drifted to my mouth. "How come you didn't tell me I was supernatural?"

And thus everything turned to shit.