C h a p t e r 2

A/N: Hi everyone! It's been a few weeks but I'm so excited to be back at it again. Part two of "Killer Instinct" will be posted either later today or tomorrow (but most likely today) as the very last chapter of "Theirs to Claim," so those interested in reading will be able to find it there.

I have such big plans for this book and I can't wait to see what you all think as I continue to post more updates, however I would like to warn everybody in advance that these chapters are going to take longer in between. I'm a full-time student and just began the Winter Term not too long ago. The new course load has already been noticeably busier, and I have a lot less time on my hands to be writing outside of school. Obviously I will do my best to update when I can, but I don't want you to feel as though I've abandoned this book if it takes me longer than usual to post.

Thank you for all of your support, and I hope you enjoy the chapter.

- Lia Collins ♡︎

Chapter 2 : XavierSunday, November 20th, 2022

Chapter 2 : Xavier
Sunday, November 20th, 2022

"I'm not going to ask again, Maiovo." I stare blankly into the eyes of the captive man in front of me, drawing my lighter from my pocket until a burst of orange flame becomes a flickering glow in the otherwise dark room.

He barely even flinched at the action, but that was okay. If time has taught me anything, it's the importance of having patience, even when you don't have much to spare.

"You see this?" Daniel Maiovo spat with a sharp turn of his head, the only part of his body he was still able to move. I already knew what he was trying to show me, and I didn't give him the satisfaction of responding to his little speech.

The small tattoo of three interlocked triangles were bound into a simplistic design behind the shell of his ear, only reminding me of the importance of this interaction—only fuelling the urge to just send his body back as a message instead.

"My loyalty resides in the Caddels—"

"Oh, I know exactly who you are, Daniel." I smile, but there is nothing nice about it. It is all threat, and I hope he can see it. "You're forty-two years old, no current or past spouses, no kids, and barely a dime to your name from all of the debt you got yourself into as a teenager."

At this, he gave the first sense of emotion, clearly caught off guard that my information on him goes that far back. When you have somebody locked up down here for two days without talking to them, it tends to give some time to figure out who they are.

Caleb figured out his name within an hour.

"Both of your parents live in a cute little house in Maine with your nana, but none of them are aware of your life working for Marcus Caddel because you know they wouldn't approve of how you're able to pay for all of the fancy jackets you put on for family dinner every Saturday at seven."