Chapter Six

(Ellie)

I wake up with the worst headache ever. My stomach is killing me from throwing up most of the night.

I don’t want to even talk about how my ass feels. I regret having that Macdonald’s. I know that has to be the reason I was like that.

I feel awful. I didn’t get to meet Grace’s dad. I was looking forward to it. I needed to thank him for all the stuff he’s bought me. I’ll have to make sure I get his number off her.

At least then I’ll be able to thank him one way or another. There’s a knock on my door, and Brad walks in, not even waiting for me to answer.

I still haven’t forgotten his words since last night. “Morning Ellie, I’ve made you a tea. I wanted to say sorry about last night. I was out of order for what I said.”

“What the hell did you say!!” My face pales as I see Grace standing behind him. “Don’t just stand there. What did you say? If you’re apologising, you know you’re in the wrong.”

I go to open my mouth, but Grace glares at me. “Don’t El, I know what you will say and don’t dare try to put any blame on yourself.” God, this woman knows me well.

“I asked her if she had any plans to move out anytime soon. I didn’t mean it in a bad way; I thought with the baby coming and everything that she’d want to leave, and then there’s us, what about when we start a family?”

I don’t look at either of them; I feel like I’m intruding on a personal conversation.

“I don’t want you ever to ask her that again. If she wants to move out at one point, then that’s fine, but don’t go making her feel like she’s not wanted here because I would choose her in a heartbeat. And as for a family, I am not in that place. I don’t think I will be anytime soon. I’m twenty-two. I don’t want to think about having a baby; I am not in that right mindset.”

She takes a deep breath before walking towards me and sitting on the bed next to me. “Are you ok? Ignore him; he’s a man and doesn’t think before he speaks. I don’t want you to feel you’re not wanted, ok? Because, as I said to Brad, you’ll always be my number one girl. You’ll be my number two girl when this one comes along.” She rubs my growing stomach as the baby kicks her hand.

“That’s my girl.” I raise an eyebrow. “You do know the baby might be a boy.” I place my hand on Graces, smiling through my tears.

“Thank you for always being there for me. Out of everyone in the world, you’re the only one that has stuck by me. You’re the only person that has shown me what it’s like to be loved.” The way she shouted at Brad made me realise I don’t need my parents because I have the best thing ever, a best friend that will always have my back.

“Don’t go crying on me now. It is way too early for that.” I see Brad still standing there looking guilty as anything. “I know you didn’t mean it in a bad way, and thank you for the drink.” I smile at him, letting him know it’s ok.

He lefts out a sigh, and I know he feels like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders. I only hope I haven’t ruined anything for him and Grace.

“I’ll let you go back to sleep; I came in here to tell you that you don’t have to cover for me today, seeing as my dad’s gone. He promised he’d come up soon; then, you’ll be able to meet him. I hope you feel better; you still look a little pale.”

Grace spent half of the night rubbing my back whilst I threw up. She didn’t even leave when I was shitting myself. Her words were. ‘I told you was all in even through the bad.’ I hope I can return the favour to her when she needs me.