Twenty-six | Yearning

It was night when they returned, and the pack was eerily quiet. Muted light illuminated the Packhouse windows, while the surrounding cottages were shrouded in darkness. 

Visena did not stir in Gideon's arms, even as he tucked her into his bed. The pack leaders awaited him around the dining table when he entered the kitchen, expressions grim. Prim had tear tracks down her cheeks.

Liam spoke first, leaning over the table in hunched defeat. "They came as soon as you left. Asked where you were and when you'd be back. They'll be here first thing tomorrow."

"Did they tell you anything?" Gideon rubbed his eyes, an ache forming between his brows. He stood in the doorway scowling, as his feet wouldn't take him further into the room. They felt leaden in his boots.

Prim sniffled. "They said her ability was too dangerous... And that we need to hand her over, or they'll destroy the pack. I just don't get how they found out about her. They wouldn't tell us how they knew. I- I- she can't go!" Orion pulled his mate close and kissed her forehead to calm her. Panicking wouldn't do any good.

The skin over Gideon's knuckles grew taut as his nails sliced into his palms. No deep breaths could ease the fury rising in his throat. "Do they know she's my mate?"

The pack leaders all shook their heads nervously. "We told them we found her in the forest near a Fae ring. They looked like they believed us," Prim's voice wobbled.

"We won't let them take her." Eve tried to say, but Gideon's golden eyes and trembling fists froze the rest of her words in her throat. 

"It's not that simple," Jed tried to interpret as Gideon shuffled to the dining table, head bowed. The room appeared to hold its breath as Gideon suspended his shift and finally sat across from them. 

"We have to assume the Wolf Council is in contact with Zeir. They only found out about her after the blood moon. Besides, that mutt was far too sure of himself to be working alone."

"Be wary of the Fae Council too." Esmerelda appeared in the doorway. "Elowen and Oren visited one night when I was imprisoned at Malum, and they were particularly comfortable amongst the wolves. Viridis Fae are crafty and are not loyal to any species. Their own included."

"So why would they help Zeir?" Prim questioned.

"He would have to have promised them something significant." Esmerelda's ticking jaw did nothing but put the wolves on edge further.

"I'm going for a run." Gideon stood abruptly and brushed past his mate's mother. His pack looked on with worried expressions before Liam followed after. 

It didn't take long to catch up to his Alpha, who was running full pelt through the darkened forest, destroying everything in his path with terrifying accuracy. The squirrel didn't stand a chance. At least it was a quick death, Liam reasoned.

Wait up! His message didn't seem to penetrate the fog in Gideon's mind. Gideon, what are you going to do? Are you a hundred per cent sure she's even your mate?

Yes, Liam. Gideon spun on his Beta and growled, baring his dripping canines. I'm sure.

Liam lowered his stance in submission before inquiring, Why haven't you marked her yet then?

That does not concern you. I know she's my mate, and I don't need to mark her to prove it to you or anyone. Gideon sprinted away, shaking his head, trying to rid the thought of beheading his Beta.

The threat of Visena being taken or hurt by anyone was enough to drive Gideon berserk. Yet, the more he thought of his little mate curled in his sheets, the calmer he felt. He made a sharp turn in the dirt, spraying leaves and debris across the forest floor heading back to her. He passed Liam and nodded lightly. No hard feelings.