ch. 2 - without you

'you're far away but i can still feel your heartbeat next to mine'

[floribel]

><><

He was walking in a field with grass that brushed against his knees. The sky was clear, but dark somehow, and a heavy breeze passed with the scent of a looming storm.

In the distance, past the rolling hills he stood amidst, were towering trees. Their leaves appeared to ripple and their branches appeared to move from the strong gusts of wind that ruffled his hair.

"Harry?"

His head shot in the direction her voice came from. He didn't see Addie at first, and her words echoed in the surrounding air.

Harry felt his heart grow faster as a surge of panic flew to his lungs.

He turned around, and there she was, standing a fair distance away. Her rich brown hair was the same as it had been, and the freckles of her cheeks were in the exact places he'd memorised them to be.

Relief bloomed in his chest like flowers in the dawn of springtime, because she was right there. She was real. She was alive. Addie was alive.

But something was wrong.

Wet tear streaks stained her face, and her eyes looked scared. She was shivering in one of the hospital wing gowns, rubbing her arms, and her bare feet were hidden in the long grass.

"Addie?" He spoke. Although she looked the same, there was something eerily different about her presence.

"I'm scared," she said, her voice wavering, her chest heaving up and down in anxiety as the wind increased. He hated hearing those words come from her mouth—it hurt him to see her like this. He stepped closer upon instinct; wanting to bring her into a safe embrace to calm her down the way he'd done so many times before.

He took another step, and another, and another—but no matter how many he took, she remained the same distance away, even though she was standing still. No matter how close he seemed to get to her, she was always too far away to reach.

Too far gone.

He stepped on something.

Looking down, Harry picked up the rose from the ground. As soon as he did, the world around them turned into a greyscale. The green of the grass and the brown of her hair and the slight pink of her lips became void of any colour: everything except for the rose.