Chapter 19

"The family date, let's go tomorrow."

It was what Kenma said yesterday, but you realized that things don't always turn what one would expect it to be. Like the weather, one moment it's raining and the next it's sunny. You should have realized that sooner.

"I can't go," Kenma said that morning. It's not because the weather is bad, it's not because it's raining or he's down with a fever. "There's a conflict in my schedule."

When you looked at Kenma, you saw that he's holding his phone and he seems to be in a rash. You haven't even said anything when Kenma left and headed back to his room.

"Suki," you muttered, thinking about what the little girl would feel if she finds out that her father will not be able to go to the family date.

You were going to leave the kitchen to go to Suki's room when you heard footsteps ahead and the little girl came moments later, her smile wide and she seems to be more cheerful than she was yesterday. "Mommy, good morning!" she said, walking up to you.

"Good morning, Suki-chan."

"Is daddy awake?" she asked, climbing up her chair. "When are we going to the park?" she asked again even before you can answer her first question.

"Suki-chan, the thing is..." you trailed off, looking for ways to tell her but before you can continue, Kenma came back. He had already changed his clothes you noticed. He's now wearing a polo shirt with two buttons left unbuttoned and a tie left untied around his shoulders while he's holding a coat.

"Daddy!" Suki said when she saw Kenma. "Oh? Daddy? What a weird outfit for a family date at a park."

Kenma took a glass of water and gulped it down before he looked at Suki. "I'm not going to the park. I'm going to the company."

You saw how the little girl's smile fell as Kenma's words sink in her mind before she slowly lowered her head.

"Just go without me," Kenma said.

Suki slid down her chair before she looked up at Kenma and you saw her eyes glossy with tears.

"I hate you, daddy," she said. "Suki hates daddy!" she yelled before she run off to her room, and you heard the door being slammed, leaving you standing there with Kenma who doesn't seem faze at all at what his daughter said and did.

"Kenma," you said while he's fixing his tie. "You shouldn't have said it like that."

Kenma suddenly stop before he looked at you. "What else should I say then? In the end I still can't go."