Chapter 20: A Lover is Your Best Friend

"And then you and Mother met again at the ball, you saved her from some men who were trying to dance with her. Then blah blah blah, you confessed your feelings and now you've been married for over ten years." Alexis gave him a doubtful look, there was absolutely no correlation between his father's love story and his magic. Instead, what Alexis got instead was the famous love story between his parents, something he has heard about for too long. "Everyone already knows that your love story is one that everyone wishes to experience."

"I haven't told you everything yet." Elijah looked down to his hands, fiddling with the ring on his finger. How long has it been since I gave her this?

"But I don't want to hear it anymore. I've heard it way too many times before." He paused, thinking about something before resuming, "Are you just going to tell me that it's possible to find true love even when restricted by status?"

"Isn't that obvious though?"

Elijah gave him a pleasant smile, "You are correct but there's a difference between hearing it and understanding it. Currently, you only know that it is a possibility but deep down, you don't think it applies to you." It's almost like you don't want to get attached to this world. And yet, you are fixated on your childhood friends.

"Hence why you are so blasé about your marriage." Was it because his son couldn't accept the idea of marrying his childhood friends or that he didn't even see them in the same romantic light? If he came home showing an interest in someone else, at least I would know that he chose them himself rather than being chosen.

"Then what you're saying is that you'll indefinitely put off my marriage until I find someone and that even though this was ultimately your decision, Lu and Darc had a major influence in this?"

Elijah nodded in agreement, pleased that his son finally used his brain, "Although it is true the boys did play a role in my decision, it is my duty as your father to ensure that you are able to find happiness with a person you cherish and love. Of course, they would have to feel the same towards you as well."

"And honestly son, going to the academy is one of the best chances you'll have to find someone you're interested in. So don't let this opportunity fly past you." Don't be like me, waiting until the day she was almost stolen away.

He nostalgically fiddled with his ring again, "When the time is right, everything will naturally fall into place. Time will force you to make a decision even when you think you're not ready." Alexis tried to genuinely smile but there were hints of hopelessness as if he was trying to hide something.

Feeling a little surprised at his response, Elijah tried to comfort him, patting him on the head, "Shall we get started now?" He swiftly turned around, deciding to distract him instead. "Although they will eventually teach you to think in the academy, it is even more important that you learn about it earlier."

On the table, there was a single piece of paper. It was a simple flowchart, marked with all the different elements. It was joined together with arrows pointing in one continuous direction. It wasn't hard to guess what they meant - each magic type had one advantageous and disadvantageous element. In the centre of the circle, there was light and dark magic, joined together by an arrow pointing in both directions - opposite elements.

"In our kingdom, everyone is assigned an element at birth, which is typically determined by the parents' elements. It's a little confusing to wrap your head around but it's not complicated." Elijah drew up an example, "Let's say there are two people who want to have a child and they want to find out their element."

"..."

"Why is this sounding exactly like a lesson at the academy?"

"Son, did you forget that I used to be an instructor myself?"