Chapter Five

"Uh.... So what do you have?" I asked the waiter.

"We have almost anything you would like, just name a food, Miss Sage."

"Um, but like, what would you think I would like?"

"Sorry, but I don't know what you would like."

"Yeah, but just guess."

"I'm not good at guessing."

"Just try."

"I'm sorry, but if you'd like to think about it, I could come back."

"No, just na--"

"Ooh!" Came an unfamiliar voice, "Get the ham and cheese sandwich with a side of chocolate milk! It's the bomb!"

I turned toward the source of the voice. It was a girl about my age, with long blond hair and large hazel eyes. She was wearing a fancy purple dress and was carrying a blue handbag that seemed to be bulging. She was pretty short, just slightly taller than me.

"Hello Max." she said to the waiter after running towards us.

"Good day Miss Alexsandra," Max the waiter replied, "Would you like me to prepare your food?"

"Oh, no thank you, I already ate. I just came here to say hi to the new girl! Hi new girl! I'm Alexsandra. What's your name?"

I could hardly keep up with what this girl was saying. "Uh, I'm Sage."

"Wow, that's a pretty name! Like I already said, I'm Alexsandra. I'm fifteen years old. When Dr. Morsie told me that she wanted me to help show the new girl around, I was like 'woah really?!' And she was all like, 'yep! You're perfect for the job!' and I was like, 'oh my gosh! Thank you!' and she was like, 'no problem!' But anyway, here I am! I should show you the library first! Ooh! I know! I'm gonna show you the dressing room first! C'mon!" With that, Alexsandra grabbed my arm and dragged me out of the dining hall before I could order lunch.

*      *      *

"...And this is the hallway to all the bedrooms. I don't know which one is your room, but Dr. Morsie will show you later. And that's pretty much all there is to show you in this compound.... I think I'll--"

There was the sound of loud laughter from behind us, and Alexsandra whirled around to see what was causing the ruckus. It was the kids from the front of the building. Three boys and two girls.

"Hey Alex!" One of the boys yelled, "Where were you? Dario was going nuts on his hoverboard again!"

"Oh, hey guys!" Alexsandra said, "I was just getting ready to give a tour to the new girl! Speaking of which, this is Sage!" Alexsandra gestured to me, and the other kids waved. "Sage, this is Dario, Aiden, Bailey, Jace, and Olwyn." I waved in a kind of awkward way. I'm not good with people apparently.

"Welcome to the group Sage." Aiden said.

"Er, thanks." I said, eyeing each person in turn. Dario had dark hair, skin, and eyes. He looked older than me, if I had to guess I'd say that he's about 18 years. He was also holding a metal board the shape of an oval. Aiden had long, wavy red hair and looked like the kind of person that would surf. Bailey had long brown hair and white eyes. She kept on looking at Dario in a way that made me think that she liked him. Jace had brown hair as well, and it was neatly combed to the side. He was leaning against the wall like he was bored. Olwyn had short black hair and red glasses. She too looked bored.

"Hey do you hoverboard?" Aiden asked.

It took me a while to realize that he was talking to me. "Uh, no I don't. I've never seen a hoverboard before."

Dario grinned, "After dinner, we have to fix that."

"Speaking of which," Aiden said, "Let's go get some dinner! It's freaking 6:56!" Aiden ran down the hall towards the dining hall. Everyone laughed except me and Olwyn, who just grinned, then we all started walking after Aiden.

Cathleen was waiting by the doors with Aiden. As we walked up they cut off their conversation and looked at us.

"Ah, good you're here." Cathleen said, smiling, "Let's get started shall we?"

Everyone nodded and we all walked into the dining hall. The table was already set with foods that I don't know the name of. We all sat down, Dario and Olwyn sitting beside Cathleen, and me sitting as far away from her as possible. Alexsandra sat next to me and chatted all through the very delicious dinner.

After we ate, Cathleen stood up and beamed at everyone. "Thank you for a very good meal everyone. And let's all thank our new recruit Sage for gracing us with her presence!" Everyone clapped. "Well then I guess you all are excused. Have a good rest of the day and I hope to see you all tomorrow."

We all stood up and made our way to the door. When I was about to walk out Cathleen called my name, "Sage? May I speak with you for a moment?"

"Uh, sure." I said, stepping out of the entryway and turning to face Cathleen.

Cathleen waited for everyone to walk out of the dining hall and closed the door. I was starting to get nervous, being alone in a closed room with this woman wasn't on my bucket list.

"Now Sage," Cathleen said, "I hope you had a good first day here. I know it was kind of boring, but tomorrow you'll be able to do a bit more. Also, I'm gonna have Frank lead you to your new room. He's waiting for you just outside the door."

"Um, thank you." I said, starting to walk towards the door.

"Oh, and Sage?" Cathleen said. I turned around and looked at her, "Yes?"

"I sense there's something special about you." She said, "Train hard okay?"

"Ummm, okay." With that I walked out the door and followed Frank to my room, thinking about what she said the whole time.