Chapter 3 : Vakkar

"I'd like to invite you to my home this evening, Vakkar."

My narrowed gaze cut to Edith at her words, and at the husky, flirtatious tone in her voice. A smile was on her lips, and her body leaned against the doorway of the room she had shown me to.

Her eyes were heavy with her lust, but that slowly disappeared the longer I watched her, saying nothing.

I observed the way she became uncomfortable in the silence that followed; the confident posture from her body wilted away, and the smile on her lips became thin with her discomfort.

But then I broke the silence when I spoke, giving her my back as I did,

"Your mate already invited me to your home, and explained that he will be hosting a dinner this evening. I will be there, along with my Beta. Thank you for showing me to my room- you can leave now."

I heard the intake of her breath, traces of disbelief and outrage in that sound, but I also heard the sounds of her footsteps when she left the doorway.

Abner, my Beta, chuckled dryly from where he sat and had observed the brief interaction. "Foolish woman." He stood from a chair, and his hand reached into one of the pockets of his pants.

"I'm going to take a walk around the north side of the pack to check on our warriors," Abner's eyes glinted with dark excitement, and he continued, his voice lowering, "And make sure that they are prepared."

He began to approach the door of the small, cramped bedroom we stood in, but paused when I told him,

"Be back by five."

I heard his grunt of acknowledgement before he left the room. It was only him and I in this house, so I did not need to worry about whether or not someone might have became suspicious about our conversation.

When the door below clicked shut after Abner's departure, I moved to the opened window of the room, looking out into the pack.

Some of the people of the Feldon pack walked near the sidewalks of the house I was in, unaware that they were being watched.

Children were amongst them, holding hands with adults or walking feet ahead of them. My eyes swept beyond them and went to the houses and buildings nearby.

This pack was small in comparison to the many I have visited, and there is a considerable amount of warriors present, all which could be easily defeated.

They were notorious for not quite being skilled for battles or fighting other lycans, but this did not stop Rothman from speaking of his intentions of using them to gain what he wanted.

Word and rumors travelled fast throughout packs, and when I'd discovered what Rothman had spoken of, anger had washed through my veins, and even now, still certainly lingered.

Chortled laughter made my eyes shift from the views of the houses, and I watched as several warriors, dressed in their standard uniform, walked along the sidewalk, speaking amongst themselves.

They must have eventually felt me watching them, because their heads lifted and eyes roamed around them until they rested on the window I stood behind.

I straightened, and took in the rippling expressions that moved through their features before their paces quickened and they disappeared beyond a corner.

They would be amongst the many warriors who would be killed tonight.

Anticipation coiled in my stomach, and I dragged my tongue along the now throbbing fangs in my mouth at the thought of the upcoming bloodshed.